Advice Please

teach3

I am fairly new to saltwater fish. I have had a 55 gallon tank for about 10 months and like most begginers, I filled up my tank with too many fish. So I have set up a 120 gallon tank and will split the fish up between the two tanks. What I need help with is planning how to divide the fish up. I currently have a Huma Huma trigger about 6 inches long, a porcupine puffer about 5 inches long, a dogface puffer about 6 inches long, a hawaiian squirrel about 4 inches long, a lined (striped?) puffer about 4 inches long, a valentini puffer 2 inches long, a lawnmower blenny and a saltwater molly about 3 inches long. I am planning to add a young panther grouper and a green wolf eel to the mix. I know this is a lot to ask, but anyone who knows enough to help me with this would help make the transition for my fish much less stressful. Thanks in advance and I'm so glad to have found a place with people who actually know what they're talking about!

Hmmm you have quite a mix there. I am surprised the molly and blenny are still alive with all the other fish.
IMO : move the trigger, puffers and squirrel fish to the 120. BUT Adding a grouper and a wolf eel to the 55 would put the molly and blenny back on the menu. Those puffers are going to grow fast and take up that tank fast, you could add the wolf eel to that tank it should be fine, but a panther grouper may get picked at by the huma (watch the huma as he grows he may pick at others in the tank). Then you could turn the 55 into a peaceful tank with some gobies, clowns and such.
Just my HO :)
HTH
-Brian

teach3

Thanks Snakes'n'fish. Any help I can get is great. I am really amazed that the blenny and molly have made it this long. They were just starter fish that I never expected to last this long! It seems that the others, besides the trigger, are just used to them. I think I might just have to set up a smaller tank (29?) and have the little guys in there. That way I can put the puffers and grouper into the 120 and then put the trigger and wolf eel in the 55. Would that make sense? I am a little worried abou the trigger nipping at the panther grouper like you said.

The 55 with the trigger and the wolf would probably be ok. The eel has the rocks to get away from the trigger if he gets to grumpy. A 29 for the others would be fine. The puffers and grouper in the 120 will do great.
I had a big undulated in a 75 with an orange toadfish for about a year. I always got a kick out of watching the trigger cruise the tank and picking at the rock, then the toad would move and he'd shoot to the top in surprise. The undulated was the only fish I ever named, he'd get between the 2 power heads and just BOB up and down, hence the name ... yep you guessed it Bob :p
-Brian