Advice to Stocklist..

fish fins

I have a 30gal potential reef tank- I've had it since Oct. 2007 so I am moving VERY slowly! This is my goal for the tank, but I am concerned about over-crownding. Please give any thoughts or suggestions.
1- cinnoman Clown (already in tank)
5- blue chromis (already in tank)
1- royal gramma (already in tank)
6- scarlet crabs (already in tank)
6- snails (already in tank)
and I'd like to add:
1- diamond gobie
1- lawn mower or scooter blennie
2- pajama cardinal
1-2 anenome
1- horseshoe crab
1- pink cucumber
Is this too much?? This would be added over the next year.. Any thoughts are greatly appriciated!!

C

cmaxwell39

With the seven fish already in the tank you are probably just about maxed out on your bioload, so no more fish. If it were me I would take out a couple of the chromis and then add one or two of the fish you mentioned.
I don't think you will be able to do a scooter blenny as their main diet is pods and will probably run out of those in a 30 gal. Also I believe that horseshoe crabs get really big so may not be a fit in a 30 gal either. You could add an anemone as long as your lights will support it. You are going to need metal halides or T5's for them though. HTH.

fishygurl

+1 to cmaxwell39s comment
also i would not get the pink cucumber since cucumbers are toxic when they die, and brighter colored ones are even more toxic it would most likely kill everything in your tank if it died

mscarpena

I agree. Cardnals are good fish, but usually only 1 per tank that small. ALso start with a BTA they are much easier. Thanks for asking before you made a mistake on what you purchased. Also I have kept Bubble tipped anemones under PC, VHO, and MH. I have seen no difference in the health of the aminal under either. PC and VHO's was for 6 years just recently switched to MH on the tank with the BTA. What lighting do you have now.

fish fins

THANK YOU - THANK YOU!!
Looks like I've already avoided several potential mistakes & creatures!
~I got 5 chromis because I love the idea of schooling fish- and my chromis do school. I read on this site that getting 5 chromis together was the best idea to encourage schooling & peace amongst them. If I take some out, how many should I take??
~I have basic aqaurium lights at the moment however I plan on investing in Metal Halide lights very soon. Until then I won't add any corals, anenomes or anything else that is dependent on the lights. That being said, any ideas on lighting??
~The scooter blennie & cucumber are off the list, thanks for the info!
~I also am attracted to the pj cardinals because I've heard they do better in pairs. Are there any other smaller fish that pair that may be good canidates for this tank??

C

cmaxwell39

As far as the chromis go, I had 5 in my 75, but I found it to just be too much of one fish so I took 2 out. The three have done just fine since then. I have always heard that odd numbers do better.
As far as lighting goes, you could look into T5s as well. If you go with T5s look at getting a fixture with individual reflectors. If you would like to go the T5 route look into fixtures by TEK, Aquactinics, or the Nova Extreme Pro. All of these would do well over your tank.