Aerating Saltwater Mix

aqua blue

Up until now I have used a airstone to aerate my mixed saltwater for water changes. I usually let the newly mixed water aerate for 24 - 48 hrs. I am going to start using a powerhead to mix my waterchange water. When using a powerhead to mix and aerate the salt should I used the air tube attachment to add air bubbles to the mix or just let the water movement alone mix the salt?
:)

it wont really hurt to put the tube on but IMO i dont think it's necesary. the flow should just be enough for the salt just to desolve.

nm reef

Back when I first started I would use a air pump to mix my water but over time I noticed that with the air pump I'd get a deposit on the bottom of the container(calcium precipitating out of the water)...after researching and asking questions it was suggested that only a powerhead be used. All I currently use now is a powerhead and a heater...and no more deposits on the bottom.

jacksonpt

I use a powerhead with the air tube. I do it because I keep a lid on my rubbermaid, so the tube is an easy way to keep fresh air in the container. Probably unecessary, but it doesn't hurt anything.

jacksonpt

I use a powerhead with the air tube. I do it because I keep a lid on my rubbermaid, so the tube is an easy way to keep fresh air in the container. Probably unecessary, but it doesn't hurt anything.

aqua blue

Thanks for all the replies. I think I will add air to the mix to the powerhead for 24hrs. with just fresh water. Then run the powerhead without the air mix for another 24hrs. after I add the salt. That will be a balance of both and still reduce the salt build up on the 10 gal. tank that I use to prepare my new water for water changes.
I had noticed some deposits on the bottom of the buckets that I used for mixing new saltwater with the airstones. I will have to watch to see if there are less deposits on the bottom of the 10 gal. tank after mixing this next batch of new saltwater.
:)