Aeration question

mattborn

Would it be OK to run my air stone into the resevoir on my power filter or should I run it down towards the bottom of the tank? I really don't want the bubbles to be seen in the tank.
Thanks

clayton

If you mean a canister filter then the air may collect around the impeller and stop the flow of water.

dseiler

If you are talking about a back filter, i.e. millineum or penguin, then the bubbles will come into your tank and be spread all over, due to the flow of the water.

dennish

As I understand it, the air bubbles from the airstone do NOT aerate the water at all, it is the surface aggitation they cause as they raise to the top that mixes up the top layer (about 1/8 inch) of aerated surface water. The more surface aggitation you have, the more oxygen is available below the surface.
-Dennis
PS.. I also think the bubble sticks "look cool". I don't have one now but I would like to get one someday.

broomer5

It was my understanding that on a marine/saltwater aquarium, whether f/o or reef, that you did not want to introduce air bubbles into the tank. I thought I read something about small air bubbles getting into fish's gills and causing problems to fish. Now I am confused

Anyone care to comment on this ??
Broomer

kris

What do you need an airstone for??? they give a false impression of oxygen. Bubbles do not neccessarily mean oxygenation. Surface agitaion via a good powerhead or other source is sufficient. As far as bubbles being "bad" for fish, That's a new one on me.

M

mitch24

I'm pretty sure that gas bubble disease isn't cause by actual bubbles in the water

But, I do have a question. I have 2 fluval canisters and a pretty long bubble maker in the back of the tank. (I love the way it looks)...
One fluval has the jet at the surface of the tank, mixing the outside air with the water.
The other fluval is attached to a UV steralizer, which pushes bubbles down into the tank. Anyway, is this enough aeration?
It's a 75 gallon tank. I always thought the aeration was good, because I always see lots of small bubbles around the tank, but now Im not so sure. Thanks in advance.

otto13

only look at the surface movement of your water. your tank can be filled with million of little bubbles, but they dont add oxygen to your tank. it is the surface movement only. when air bubbles hit the surface they create movement. i am a power head guy myself. i use bubblers for looks and additional aeration only. i would check the box of your jet and see what tank size it supports.
[This message has been edited by otto13 (edited 06-13-2000).]