AGA 125 overflow questions

causeidm

Ok, I am finnaly getting a bigger tank. I bought a 125g aga w/ 2 built in overflows and the all-glass overflow accessory kits. I would like to know if am I going to need to silicone these kits in to ensure no leaking or do they seal well enough with what's included? Also, does anyone know the flow rate of each overflow or both together?
Thanks in advance

marinerock

HEY CAUSE....
A FEW THINGS....
1- YOU WILL HAVE TO SILICONE ALL THE JOINTS
EXCEPT...DO NOT SILICONE THE BULKHEADS THAT ATTACH
TO THE INSIDE AND OUTSIDE OF THE HOLES ON THE BOTTOM
GLASS....YOU WILL NEED TEFLON TAPE FOR THOSE FITTINGS
2- I DO NOT KNOW IF THEY INCLUDED A CHECK VALVE WITH
THE PLUMBING KIT THAT YOU BOUGHT....IF THEY DIDNT...
DO YOURSELF A BIG FAVOR AND GET ONE...
YOU WILL HAVE TO LET US KNOW IF YOU HAVE ONE INCLUDED
IN YOUR KIT OR IF YOU ARE GOING TO GET ONE, THEN WE CAN
TELL YOU HOW TO HOOK THAT UP....IF YOU DO PLAN ON
GETTING ONE...YOU WILL ALSO NEED PVC CEMENT ...
3- YOU CAN USE ANY TYPE OF AQUARIUM SAFE SILICONE...
YOU CAN GET IT AT YOUR LFS OR EVEN WALMART/PETSMART ETC.
REGARDS...
MARINEROCK

jumpfrog

Just set up the exact system in December. The instructions that come with the overflow kits are very good. Tells you everything you need to know. You won't need a check valve as the returns are predrilled to stop a back syphon. Excellent system. Quiet, reliable. You'll like it!
Good Luck!

marinerock

HEY JUMP....
HOW ARE YA? I DIDNT GET THE OVERFLOW AND RETURN
KITS FROM AGA...THE LFS HAD THEIR OWN SETS MADE UP
WITH THE CHECK VALVE AND A DIFFERENT STAND PIPE...
MY STAND PIPE HAS ALOT OF HOLES IN IT...IT IS NOT A
SOLID STANDPIPE CAUSE THEY SAID THEY HAD SOME
PROBLEMS WITH THE AGA KITS...SPECIFICALLY THE FLOAT
VALVES...BUT WHO KNOWS...THEY PROBABLY MAKE MORE
SHECKLES MAKING UP THEIR OWN KITS....
BEST REGARDS...
MARINEROCK

stacyt

As far as the overflow goes what size are the holes that you ordered the tank with? I beleive the standard an AGA is 1 3/4". If I remember correctly they told me 1700 GPH.
There are some downsides to the float system they put in. I've had the valve get stuck open a couple of times. No big deal, it just makes the overflow a little noisey.

causeidm

It's all standard, I don't get it till next week, just planning ahead. The lfs had to order it since i didn't want a black stand/cannopy. So if the standard holes are 1 3/4" then that's what they are. I am just planning what kind of pump I wanna order right now and how much flow. debating between a mag and a little giant. Little giant = more presure mag = quieter.... hard call.

stacyt

A freind of mine who owns a LFS set me up with custom sealife t4 titanium pumps. There only rated for about 1300 GPH at the head height that I am using, but it does a great job, and is very quite. You can't even hear any noise coming from the pump. I would recomend using 2 of these pumps on your setup. Just be sure that when you setup the overflow to use the standpipe, the sponge prefilter, and the float valve. This made a big difference in the amount of noise coming from the overflow.

wrassecal

Do you mind telling me how much you had to pay for that setup? My email is in sig line if you don't want to publish it. I'm trying to decide what best I can get in 125 at least cost (of course).:)

causeidm

I don't mind posting, I got tank, stand, cannopy, and overflow kits for $754. They were having a big sale at a local lfs. I spoke with a good friend who works at another lfs and their cost to get my tank was $725 so they said there was no way they could meet that price.

yello tang

I am going to order the same tank but im going to DIY my stand does anyone know how far the holes are from the end of tank?

yello tang

from the end of glass to the begining of the hole. From the back glass to hole and from the side to the hole. i plan making stand out of 2x4's I want to know how much clearance i need

causeidm

You know, I don't know if it is the modern series stand or not, but it looks great, I went back to the store today to make sure they had ordered the hood cause I am allready sick of waiting for it. I will be sure to post some pics here of the setup when it's all done, I'm gonna use a 55 gallon Accrylic I've had lying around for the sump. but give me some time, probably in 2-3 weeks.
Yellow tang, I will also post the measurements on this bored for you, hopefully by next friday, anything else you need, e-mail me and let me know, causeidm@hotmail.com

uncletobal

yellow tang just so you know, AGA will probably void your warranty if their tank is going to be on a diy stand. Just something to consider........