AGA Plumbing Kit – worth $45?

foxthorn

I’m looking at getting an AGA 90 gallon with built in corner overflow. The LFS wants $45.99 for the All Glass plumbing kit that goes in the overflow.
I’m wondering if it’s a decent setup or am I better off just getting my own PVC from Home Depot and rigging my own in there. I noticed that their setup has some type of float valve to maintain a high water level in the overflow – which I assume is to reduce noise (?).
I’ve also heard about people using the Durso Standpipe. But looking at the rounded corner overflow in the All-Glass, I’m not sure if I’d be able to fit one in there???
Thanks for your help….

eslowfiddy

It really depends what you mean by worth it.
I have a 125gallon AGA with two overflows. I got the kits but was kind of pissed to find out what I paid for.
I paid 2 x $39.99 for what I could of got for less than $15 at Lowes or Home Depot.
What you're really paying for is the convience of not going to 2-3 different hardware stores to get all the PVC parts that you need.
I should say more that it's more than just PVC, you get some foam prefilters and the floats that you mentioned but still.
I caved in and got the two kits, but I feel ripped off at the same time. 2 x $39.99 for $15 of plastic and foam. :mad:
-E

jumpfrog

I bought the 125 AGA too with overflows. Only paid ~$30.00 each for mine so you might want to shop it some. Is it worth that in materials. Probably not. But, the convenience of having all the correct size parts that designed to work together that actually works (made it a good price for me) I've finally decided that when "I" cut corners "I" usually pay for it in the end.
It's just like that argument of $90.00 for a hang on overflow. Yeah, its just some plastic but you really can't make one that looks as professional and well designed yourself unless you're one of those truely great DIY'ers.
Just my $.02

stacyt

Also the kit does include the bulkheads, and it can be a pain trying to get the correct bulkhead fittings.

foxthorn

lilbuddy -- I know what you mean about the return water coming out so close to the overflow. I would assume I could just put a longer flexible hose to point the return water further out into the tank. What did you do... have a hole drilled on the opposite end of the tank?
I checked out Rich Dursos' web site and saw the mod someone did to get that standpipe to fit in the AGA overflow. Anyone with first hand experience doing this? Results?

kpogue

NO! It's a rip! Use the Durso standpipe design - it'll cost you $20 for a double overflow if you DYI.

wrassecal

Originally posted by lilbuddy
. I got my 90 drilled at lfs and got over flow made.

You can drill an aga? on the bottom? It's not tempered glass?

foxthorn

Thanks for your replies.... I've looked into the Durso standpipe. It seems simple enough to make and it appears that you can make it fit into the AGA overflow. So I plan on going the Durso route :)

shanev

Shadow,
Kipass4130 wasnt trying to be rude, its just there are ALOT of posts on this subject. The search feature is very easy to use and will bring back more info then we could reiterate here. Its kinda like going to a library and asking the librarian to read you the book :)