Aged Saltwater..

mr. tuna

I have 12 gallons of sea water that have been sitting in jugs, in my living room for 2 months already.. can i use it? i wouldnt see why not, but im just curious if it will make a difference.
thanks-

escape2thewater

I have used pre-mixed SW that old before with no problems. Mine was kept circulating in a rubbermaid garbage can though with a small PH.
Escape

mudplayerx

You will need to aerate it for 24 hours with an airstone or powerhead prior to putting it into the tank. Don't store saltwater in unsealed/uncapped containers or the water will evaporate and raise the salinity (although you can fix that, but what's the point of premixing it in the 1st place).

chipmaker

Just circulate or aerate it first. There is a hot debate on the USENET reef forum concerning the use of stored SW. One individual stated he mixes up his water for at least 6 months supply all at one time and never aerates it past the point the water is mixed, nor does he aerate when he uses it, and he normally stores it for periods of 6 months or more......I always keep mine aerated, weather I am giong to use it tomorrow or two months from now. You never know when you may need it, and aeration is easy and cheap not to do.