Aggresive Reef tank??

krunk

I love aggresive fish, and i love reef's so i thought id mix the two. Now the fish i want arent coral munchers, but i want too know if they eat crabs/hermits/snails. the fish i want, i know they eat shrimp, but not sure if they eat crabs/hermits/snails. ANYWAYS, will these fish be good in a reef?
1. Snowflake eel
2. Dwarf lion
3. Blue Jaw Trigger
Just want everyones approval if these can go in reef tanks, without munching on corals, crabs, hermits, or snails.

sagxman

As for numbers 1 and 3 on your list I have no experience, but a friend of mine has a dwarf lion in his tank and has no problem at all. It has been doing very well for at least a year now. But NO SHRIMP. He loves that type of thing. He also recently made a nice meal out of a $5 damsel. So be careful.

rickster

I had a snowflake and a porky puffer...."stupid me" puts in a coral banded shrimp....immediately lost his right claw to the puffer and scuttled straight into the eel's lair...who proceded to try and finish the job. Took me only about 1 minute to get the shrimp out and then I moved him into my 15 gallon at work. Everybody at work loved him and named him "Yummy"...they even wrote poems about the ordeal...:)

ryebread

The Blue Jaw is a fairly safe bet but, a Sargassum Trigger would be even more safe........or if you have the $500 for a Cross Hatch Trigger. :D

krunk

alright, probaly wont get the bluejaw anyways, meh lfs never has them in stock. sargassums are redtails right?? i always get them mixed up. but these three fish wont harm snails/crabs/hermits will they??

ryebread

Sargassums are also known as Red Tails yes.
I also think that anyone who will give you a 100% garantee that those fish won't ever mess with snails/crabs/hermits is crazy. There is always a chance and all fish are different.
My Percula Clownfish eats more of the Seaweed Select than my Bristletooth Tang does.......never know what you will see next.

nm reef

My understanding is all of your wish list may damage your clean-up crew...snails/shrimp/crabs all might become part of the menu with eels/lions/triggers. Plus they are all sort of messy eaters which could contribute to water quality issues. Potential lack of clean-up crew members and potential for water problems would be more than enough to convince me to maintain a more "peaceful" species list.
NMREEF website
“Whiskey for my men...beer for my horses.”
nmreef@cox.net