Aggression

spnohio

I have a well established 75 gallon tank. tank mates include a scopas tang, flame angel, royal gramma and an orange spotted goby. Tonight i bought a powder brown tang, acclimated him for an hour with the lights off using the floating method. Apparently, flame angel didn't like the powder brown. P.B started swinging his tail toward the angel, trying to establish his dominence? This went on and off for about an hour till i luckly caught P.B. and put him in the QT tank for a time out.
Can these fish all survive together? Should I have keep the lights off the rest of the night? Or should I have QT the angel instead letting the PB relax? Scopas Tang didn't bother PB tang at all, since there are different shapes.
Please help?

M

marineang

First thing that comes to mind is ... if you have a QT and you just bought the powder brown tonight, why was he already in the display? I'm telling you from 2 tramatic experiences with PB's... ich magnets. Big risk to just bring him home and throw him in. To answer your question, I had a similar issue and found that rearranging rockwork helped to disorient the established fish and everyone pick their place in the heirarchy of the tank.

kjr_trig

I would doubt you will have ongoing issues, the Powder Brown will likely be the dominant fish in that system, once everything is "established", things won't be too bad....I would not advice adding much more, a 75 is a very small tank for 2 Tangs.

I also would be worried about the two tangs in that size tank as they will grow quicker than you think. The flame will settle down after the PB gets his point across soon enough. PB's are a gorgeous fish, but as others have said, they are ick magnets.
Good Luck

spnohio

I have started the hypo on the PB. How fast should u drop the specific gravity over the 48 hours?

small triggers

again, as marineang said, rearrange the rock work the day you put the PB back in the tank,,,,, I have to atleast add a good bit when i add a new fish.

spnohio

We are doing hypo salinity on powder brown tang in quarantine tank. Salinity is at 14 ppm and specific gravity is 1.013. PH is 8.2. How long before seeing results of treatment in a 3 week quarantine tank?

spnohio

We are doing hypo salinity on powder brown tang in quarantine tank. Salinity is at 14 ppm and specific gravity is 1.013. PH is 8.2. How long before seeing results of treatment in a 3 week quarantine tank? Update, i think PB Tang is getting better,

M

marineang

Again, I can only respond but I've been where you currently are:
You didn't mention seeing ich on the Tang. Quarantine doesn't automatically mean hypo. However, since you've already started it, you need to know that at an sg of .13, ich can and will reproduce. You need to bring it down to an sg of .09 and from the point you see no visible signs, you could 3 weeks from that time.
Again, and I stress this, keeping sg where it is isn't doing anything for the fish or helping to effectively erradicate the parasite. Bring it down to 09 and hold it there. When you raise the sg after those 3 weeks....raise it slowly over the course of a week.