aggressive damsels

bugapash

just put in a second pink damsel (have a blue fin and some chromis). put the second pnk damsel in a day after the first, adn now one is chasing the other around the tank. should I intervene?

bugapash

they're only going after each other, though...will one kill the other? will theymess with the other fish? I was told that the pinks were as peaceful as the chromis...

celacanthr

You have two choices.
If you want to keep both of the damsels you can rearrange all of your rock work. See damsels like to protect their territory, and so the damsel you have already has made his territory. if you change the rockwork around, then it will confuse the established damsel into thinking it is in a new tank. Then both damsels will start on the same playing field and can mark out their own territories. This won't work if your tank isn't very large...how big is your tank?
If you don't wanna rearrange your rockwork, then you will have to take on of the damsels out.
I have never heard of a pink damsel, can you find a pic?

bugapash

Just looked and couldn't find a pictuer...but it's pink, with a yellow head and yellow fins, and a black spot, false eye on the end of its dorsal.

bugapash

is there a safe way to remove both, and put them both back in at the same time? (I know fish doen't have a lengthy memory).

bill109

im sure you know now but dmasel are mean and btw chromis are related to the damsels.

just thought i mught let you know.

bizzmoneyb

I put 6 in my tank when it first finished cycling. One was killed, the rest seem to be fine. They pick on each other but no wounds from what I can see. Bottom line, Damsels are psychos.

celacanthr

Not all are.
For example: the one in the pic is a Talbolt Damselfish (Chrysiptera talboti), and is considered very docile. Your LFS is right about this damsel.

bugapash

I know that they are mean, but Chromis are a more docile subspecies--that I do know. the LFS told me that these pinks are about as docile as the Chromis...but of course, I've avoided anything other than the pinks, certainly nothing near as aggressive as dominoes, ble electrics, etc.
any chance these guys are going to just settle down and learn to get along? Or am I doomed into removing one or another---at some point, even if not at this moment?

bill109

Originally Posted by bill109
im sure you know now but dmasel are mean and btw chromis are related to the damsels.

just thought i mught let you know.
was i right? i thought i might of heard tht somewhere but wasnt sure.