aggressive fish and starfish

deejeff442

will non-reef safe eat starfish and urchins?
like puffers,wrasses,filefish.i have a fowlr going and dont know if these fish will just eat the shrimp,snails and crabs and not touch the starfish and pincushin urchins?

halamaya

I have a blue spotted puffer, and a Trigger fish. I have 2 brittle stars and 1 serpent, a chocolate chip, and a pillow starfish. I feed them all well so they don't seek out my starfish. I think I got lucky though, I had to move the yellow brittle out of my reef tank because he was eatting my shrimp and fish. He made it so I added more one at a time. My red serpent star was last and took a while top figure out how to hide well. So the end of his arms got nipped on a bit but thats about it. My puffer doesn't get very large though. We'll see as my Trigger gets bigger.

R

richard kagen

The puffer nips at the chocolate chip stars but they don't seem any worse for wear

R

rcreations

Yes they do. My stars and stripes puffer snacked on a chocolate chip star and a queen angel ate a pincushion urchin, literally pulled out all its needles.

garick

stars can eat fish to. I used to have 2 brittle's that would actually catch and eat fish. I saw one of them latch onto a dwarf lion and hork its skin off trying to pull it down to its mouth/stomach.

deejeff442

well guess no inverts at all.i reall have a nice list of fish for the tank and wanted something to crawl around.

hammerhed7

indeed some of the large stars can be nasty, but they are no match for triggers, puffers and the like. Urchins are a favorite snack of triggers. I have a choc chip and a brittle and had a red general for a couple of years in my aggressive tank, but I dont have aggressive triggers or puffers. i do have a blue jaw trigger, and recently lost my 8" aussie tusk neither of them bothered the stars.