aggressive pseudochromis

mjr

Help!! My purple pseusochromis is attacking and doing his best to kill all other fish in my aquarium. How can I catch him, get rid of him, or what fish will beat him into submission or eat him? I cannot catch him. I have a 75 gallon reef aquarium with lots of live rock and corals. Any suggestions?

jmesmcm

First of all welcome to the board.
Second, the old Purple

[hr]
!!! as my wife called ours when we had it. Ours we could get out of the tank as it hid in the a hole on one particular rock so when we wanted it out of the tank we waited for it to go into it's hole and then moved that rock into a bucket.
Good luck catching them, they can be very hard.

kreach

We used this trick to catch a yellow pseudocromis that was doing the same thing in our tank.
Make a soda bottle fish trap. Take a plastic bottle of suitable size (20 oz works great), cut off the top part just below where the bottle becomes cylindrical, turn this top part upside down and push it into the bottom part of the bottle.
Punch a small hole in the side of the bottle a couple of inches below the cut edge to let air out. Bait with something tasty. Place in tank. The fish swim in but they (usually) can't figure out how to get out.
Good luck!

ozadars

in a 75gal its very hard to catch.
I had one in my 65gal which killed my long nose hawk :(
I had to take all the rocks out to catch it.
BTW dont make a fish meal of another fish on purpose just because it is aggressive. Being aggressive isnt its fault, buying a fish w/o doing research is your fault.
What other fish do you have? Maybe you can continue keeping it just w/ other fish that it cant kill

aarone

I had a purple pseudo. I added it last in the tank but it was sitll aggressive. the only thing it didnt fight with wast my false perc. It beat the crap out of my blue damsel though!
aaron

mjr

Yes, I do deserve to have my hand slapped for adding this beautiful fish without the proper research. But, in my defense, I just found your message board ---- so thanks for the tips and I will keep trying to oust the beast. I have a mandarin and a clown fish that are hanging in there for now. Keep me posted on any more suggestions. I'll let you know what works for the capture!

I had one it was aggressive but it did not hurt any of my other fish. It just wanted to be the first to get to the food. The way I got mine out of my tank when I was changing to a bigger tank was mine had a strange way of sleeping. About 45 mins after lights out it would go to sleep and it slept upside down and just kind of floated like it was dead. So I just wanted intill I know it was really asleep and I caught it with a net. It was a really good fish it was the only one I lost in the black out.
Sarah :)

N

newbienz

I had one too that killed almost everything. Those pretty little buggers