aggressive tank filter system

j-man

Never had Large Fish:
I want to set up a larger tank 125,150 gal
with a voltan Lion, Zebra Eel, Humu trigger and porcupine puffer.
Wet/dry filter with little giant 4- MDQX
and do large water changes monthly
no protein skimmer
will I have success/comments please!

tankstolove

Good question, glad you asked. Way back in the day when the aquarium industry decided to add wet/dry filters to aquariums. Many thought great, this is the only filtration we need! Myself included. We took out the ozone, co2, protien skimmer, nitrate reductor, uv filter, canister filter ect. We were all so smart, and we had the cutting edge, I mean human waste has processed through trickle filters successfully since the turn of the century. Well come to find out we were all wrong. I only tell you some of the history, because many have made the mistake (including me), and I thaught this would help you understand completely. You have chosen a wet/dry filter great decision, but you also need to add the protien skimmer. The skimmer is an essential piece of equipment, removing pollutants that other filtration methods fail to eliminate. Many argue about the next comment, but I think you should add a UV filter as well. UV sterilizers kill free swimming algae and more inportantly free swimming parisites. Like white spot (cryptocaryon irritants, and oodinium for exsample. SEEL LIFE... "It's a beautiful world!"

txstud3231

i agree with tankstolove. the bigger the fish you have, the more waste they are going to be producing, so it is best to have the best filtration possible! good luck!

schreff

I have a 55 gallon with a 4in yellow tang, 2in humahuma, 12in snow flake and a 4 1/2in red lion. I use a Fluval 404, Prizm Skimmer and a 16 watt pond U.V. I still need more I think I only need a better skimmer and a smaller canister filter like a 104 or 204, I think that should do the trick for me. I don't like the Wet/Dry because I have heard the nitrates are hard to keep to a min. I hope this helps.
-Jeremy