agressive reef tank

snipe

I know not the sorta thing ya normaly see together in a post right. Well im wanting to do an agressive reef tank. You have to remember this is a 40 gallon tank and I DONT want it to be species specific. but anything that is considered agressive but not overly large and will do alright with corals please any advice on that lol. Kinda specific but I wanted to try something different. Im thinking a Dwarf lion of some type, but I was also thinking of a angler fish as well. This tank would be home to 3 or 4 fish or maybe just 2 depending on the type and how large they get (if there aruond 5inches only two for me in this tank lol). But any input would be aprecciated.

S

surfinusa

A dwarf lion might work, you could probably have a cool pair of maroonn clownfish too. Or if you dont do inverts you could add a hawkfish, but limit your self like to 2-3 fish.

snipe

thanks but what els could go with the lionfish as in be compat with out one eating the other lmao. I dont plan on doing hardly any inverts at all.

S

surfinusa

Or some type of dwarf angel like a flame,coral beauty or lemonpeel.

snipe

my only problem with them is some dwarf angles are good but I have seen two different ones almost wipe out a xenia colony. So im kinda on the fence to buy one or not.

snipe

anyone els for some thoughts? Anything that is considered aggressive but yet reef safe (at least CORAL safe) anyway. I really want to pull this off but just some thoughts on some cool combos for fish to really give this tank that extra flare. I want something that will stand out and just make ppl say "HOLY crap that is beautiful!!!" lol

i have always been a fan of the angler just get a colorful one red or yellow it should be fine with a lion. now one thing that i noticed that a lot of people like is seahorses but as we both know there are not aggressive.and you chould not add anything else except maybe some pipe fish just a thought.

S

surfinusa

Anglers are really species tank only type of fish, they can swallow fish a lot bigger then themselves.Dont assume that an angler wont eat a lionfish, and if it did it would kill the angler because of the poison.

reef_dart21

if you are making an agressive tank a Sargassum Frogfish is a must!!!! the are sweet looking really agressive and energetic also i heard a blue ribbon eel should be fine in a reef tank.

snipe

but can anything be kept with the FrogFish?
And actually eels can eat lion fish with out dieing. They MUST eat them head first. But all that aside anything ya can think of that is compat with other fish and will fit.

reefstar22

I have an aggressive reef. - Full of corals...etc
I have a Blue throat trigger/Blue Ribbon Eel/Dwarf Lion for aggressive fish. - Love it.
I also have tangs...etc
Let me know if you have questions

reef_dart21

Originally Posted by Snipe
but can anything be kept with the FrogFish?
And actually eels can eat lion fish with out dieing. They MUST eat them head first. But all that aside anything ya can think of that is compat with other fish and will fit.
theys why i said sargassum frog fish. even though most frogfish have areputation of eating everything, it is not always ture for the sargassum. It will eat any fish the same size or smaller than it BUT it is a small fish and mine i owned only got up to about 4-5" and never touched my longhorn cowfish but all aside it is a great fish. (dunno if it will eat any eels but if the eel is a moray it probably wont.)