Agressive stocking list.

aquashelle

After going through several arguments with the family, we have changed over to stocking our tank with aggressive fish.

The tank is 155 gallons..
We currently have a wolf eel in it, close to a foot long..
I'm looking for any good recommendations of fish that would go with the eel/dottyback..
I may also try to shove a piece of coral in there eventually, so I don't mind suggestions that aren't safe in the matter of motile inverts, but possibly those that don't bother sessile ones..
Anyway, feel free to make suggestions please!

R

rcreations

Triggers come to mind and they are safe for corals. Lots of triggers to choose from... my personal favorites are Nigers and Goldhearts. Large angelfish are nice but not safe for any future corals, other than maybe mushrooms. Puffers, same as angels. Large wrasses like the lunare are good fish and safe for corals. Tangs are good too and they can hang with agressive fish without problems and are coral safe.

aquashelle

Thanks for the help!
I do fancy the nigers, I shall definately look into those.
Would a trugger nip at the eel though? That would be my only concern..
As for wrasses, I love the idea of them. I think I'd have to choose from a red coris, blue head, or possibly a lunare. I've heard good things about each of those species.
As for angels, if I find that I fall in love with one, I may choose it over the coral, but an angel shall be my last concern currently.

R

rcreations

Triggers and eels are pretty compatible, you shouldn't have any problems.

aquashelle

Glad to hear! Definately will get a trigger then.
So far we've got:
Green wolf eel
Niger Trigger
Red coris wrasse
Possibly an angel
Possibly a tang or two
Anymore suggestions? And thanks for the help!

aquashelle

Forgot to add, I'm also going to either add a single maroon clown, or a mated pair. I can't purchase two juvis though, for the eel would probably eat them if they were that small..
So I'll either buy a grown mated pair, or simply a large single adult..

R

rcreations

This is what I have in my 150gal and they all get along fine! The goldheart is the meanest in the tank but she's not really agressive, just likes her space. Then the queen angel is the second in command. The rest are about equal and for some reason the sargassum and niger are best friends, they're always around each other.
sargassum trigger (5")
niger trigger(4")
goldheart trigger (7")
foxface (7")
naso tang (6")
queen angel (5")
yellow wrasse (5")
Also have some assorted mushroom coral, tree sponges and ricordea.

jackri

I would say you're pretty safe of your pick of tangs, triggers and angels although angels can nip corals if you wantt o put some in eventually.
I'd love to set up an aggressive tank... but I'm sure that will never happen lol

insane96

Originally Posted by aquashelle
http:///forum/post/3073012
After going through several arguments with the family, we have changed over to stocking our tank with aggressive fish.

The tank is 155 gallons..
We currently have a wolf eel in it, close to a foot long..
I'm looking for any good recommendations of fish that would go with the eel/dottyback..
I may also try to shove a piece of coral in there eventually, so I don't mind suggestions that aren't safe in the matter of motile inverts, but possibly those that don't bother sessile ones..
Anyway, feel free to make suggestions please!
i really like lionfish i have three of them they are very unique i have a volitan fu manchu and a radiata they are my pride and joy of my tank that is what i would suggest for stocking an agressive tank i wish you good luck on starting your tank

aquashelle

I would love a lion, for I believe they are absolutely stunning..
But my question would be, would the trigger nip at it? Or would any others on my list? Also, I've heard lions could swallow almost anything..would the maroons be in danger?
I'd probably end up with a volitan if I purchased one..
And the venomous part causes me to hesitate, what kind of extra measures must you take when owning a lionfish?

jennln

Originally Posted by aquashelle
http:///forum/post/3079698
I would love a lion, for I believe they are absolutely stunning..
But my question would be, would the trigger nip at it? Or would any others on my list? Also, I've heard lions could swallow almost anything..would the maroons be in danger?
I'd probably end up with a volitan if I purchased one..
And the venomous part causes me to hesitate, what kind of extra measures must you take when owning a lionfish?
I had a lion in my tank with triggers before I knew any better.
The lfs told me it would work so I went ahead and got one. When I had posted my stock list here everyone warned me that it was not a good mix. Up until then, everyone was fine in my tank together and they were good after that...for a little while. My triggers inevitably found a "taste" for the lion and just would not leave him alone. I had to quickly find him a new home. I don't know if it's true for all triggers...I had a picasso and clown at that point and they both went after the lion. Point is....you may get away with it for awhile, but triggers and lions together is not a safe plan.
For what it's worth, I also had a gold striped maroon clown who the lion never bothered.

aquashelle

I thought as much when it came to the triggers and lions xD I'll have to decide which one to keep later on..
Another random question..
What all fish on my list would try to eat a blue spiny lobster? I would love to keep one of these, if possible.

prime311

I wouldn't consider triggers safe with corals. While they may not be coral eaters many triggers spend their time roaming the tank and biting on the rock(or corals+anything else). Worth a shot though. I'd expect you'd have more issues keeping nitrates at a respectable level for corals moreso ten anything else. Predators are messy :)

aquashelle

Alright, newest list :)
Green Wolf eel
Red coris wrasse (Or lunare)
Aussie Harlequin Tusk fish
An angel..(Maybe) Edit: I like the Majestic Angel
Maroon clownfish
Atlantic blue tang
Volitan Lionfish
Blue spiny lobster (If possible?)
Are their any issues with the above mentioned?
Anymore suggestions?

prime311

I think theres a very good chance of it. Its youre investment though if you want to risk it go ahead. I have an Urchin and Choco Star in my tank with fish that are normally their predators and its worked out fine so far.