ahhh, finally 6 months into this hobby

calvindo

looks can be deceiving. corals are doing great, but fish is not. my achilis tang and two hippo tang is showing signs of ick
i dont know how am i going to catch them with all this stuff in the tank.

calvindo

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!! looking it my poor tang, make my skin itch! tried to catch him for two hours today, with no luck!

calvindo

my lr is stacked from one end to the other. whenever i put my hands in there, he runs hiding in the back, where i cant get too. my hands are all pruned up, after two hours of salt water. i wouldnt be suprise if my arm is infected with ick now.:mad: :mad: :mad: i will probably use cyanide, if i can get some at this point :mad:
also, can someone share some light on this.... as you can see from the picture, my purple tang is spotless. he's been in the tank for over 3 months now. why my other tangs are infected and he's not?

K

kistheeze

turn up the temp slowly to 84... The raised temp will help the ich mature and hopefully fall off quicker.
Get yourself 4 or 5 cleaner shrimp ASAP! They'll do what they can.
Feed HEAVILY garlic soaked food in small amounts very frequently.
Chasing him around to get him out may stress him out even more. As long as he's still eating you can try these above methods. If he doesnt take the food, you had better break down that tank.... A carcus that big stuck behind the rocks would be bad..

calvindo

thanks... i'll give that a shot. just turned my heater up a bit. i already have 3 cleaner shrimp and been feeding them food with garlic juice.

shoreliner11

As far as I have been told on the disease forum the other fish have ich as well but their immune systems can just fight it off. Try the fish trap thing and set up a quarantine and treat them for ich with hyposalinity. If you can't do that like Kistheeze said try the garlic in the food thing. Don't know about the raising temp thing though. I am just getting over an ich outbreak in my 20gallon in which I had to take out all fish and leave fishless for a month to make sure all ich is dead before I put them back in. Just post something in the disease forum...they can give you the best advice...Good luck.

jlem

Your fish probably are stressed from the lack of swimming room. Achilles and hippos are known to be the more delicate tangs. I know that you think that a 6ft tank is plenty for that many tangs but you have way to much rock for those fish to have any swimming room. When your fish die I would suggest not having more than two tangs at the most in a tank that full of rock. Hospital tank and hypo are the only way and if you can't catch your fish then just keep up the Garlic and hopefully the other fish will survive the next wave of Ick.

northshore

sorry to hear bout the outbreak in yer beautiful reef....but i was just wondering....do you know how the ich get introduced to your tank in the first place? for a six month old tank....thas hellah stuff you added in a short period of time... or am i just being conservative?

nm reef

I know its not much in the way of help...but terryb over in the disease & treatment forum has been looking for pics of ich infected fish for use in a publication. You may want to post the tang pics over there.
As for treatment ... at this point you have serious trouble and in time I'd bet the other fish will suffer just as bad. I'm not sure that a increase in temp and/or garlic will do much good at this point. Your only solution may be to remove the fish and treat there with hyposalinity. Again...the folks in disease & treatment will be better able to advise in that regard.
Last thing...this is a very good example of the saying..."nothing but bads things happen fast in this hobby!":thinking:

stargazer

nice tank! i have a 125 also but mine dose not have nearly as many corals as your's. i have 2 tangs in my tank they both had ich looked like yours. i have 3 cleaner shrimp the tangs were going to the shrimp to get cleaned all the time.i also treated seaweed selects with zoe and garlic guard. i have 2 cleaner wrasses in the tank they also cleaned the tangs the ich was off the fish after about 1 week. the cleaner wrasses eat any thing i feed the other fish they just need smaller peices they even eat the seaweed,i could not have cought the tangs eather .(this worked for me) i dont know if these things worked or if it was just luck.hope this helps

125intx

Great looking tank! But as you know you had better do somthing quick about the ICK. He looks bad! I would not think he is going to last much longer.
Good Luck!