AHHH! Thermometer broke..

wintrmte

Argh.. We had a glass thermometer in our 80gal reef that apparently broke during the night. The thermometer was an Aqua Culture brand and it looks as if the bottom just fell out. I will try to get some pictures of it when I get home. The bottom base is still in tact (the part with the red stuff and the ball like things).
My fear is that they were using mercury in the thermometer (not sure if that is true or not) and my other fear is that everything in the tank will now die.

I've got some water brewing for a change but it won't be ready until tomorrow or the day after at the earliest..
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do or if I am over-reacting?
Thanks.

ctgretzky9

before a panic, I would call customer service for that manufacturer...go to the website maybe and get a number to call.
I would ASSUME they wouldnt use mercury in a tank, but ya never know.

F

flashzg

LMAO no they did not use mercury. That is a horrible chemicle that can cause cancer.. they outlawed that from being in household items a LONG time ago... its fine especially if it was ment for use in a fish tank.
:yes:

doboy

Mercury is pretty much harmless in liquid (elemental) form, as in a thermometer. It will not dissolve in water, and will just sink below the sand in your tank. It will agglomerate with some other elements (sulphur, gold, platinum), but won't react with them. Hydrochloric acid will put it into solution.
People have been scared out of their minds about mercury. It's not that bad. I have used it for a number of purposes, including removing gold dust from sand. Most folks with dental fillings have a mouthful of the stuff.
Red thermometers are usually alcohol filled. If it's still in the glass bulb, just get it out. Don't let it gewt warmer in your tank before you do, or some will escape the broken end.

22caddy

I have never had it happen in saltwater, but my piranhas have broken a few with no bad results. There is no mercury in it, and as stated mercury is not as horrible as most people make it out to be.