Ahhhhhhhhhh Ich!!

melissa1

i have a serious ich problem going through my tank :help: :help: :help:
usually the shrimp take care of it over night but for some reason 3 of my babies have it and it doesn't look like the shrimp are doing anything what do i do??
:help: :help: :help:

ophiura

1) Read through this forum (disease)- very common issue and the treatments have been covered a lot.
2) Give specific water quality parameters...
3) which fish are involved, how long you've had them?
4) age of tank?
5) other fish in the tank?
6) how often have you noticed this in the past? (noticed that the cleaner shrimp had to work on ick?)

melissa1

2) Give specific water quality parameters...
Nirite-0, nitrate - 0, the rest i dont know my bf does the "mad Scientist thing"
3) which fish are involved, how long you've had them?
Black Perula (1-1/2 Weeks)
Royal Gramma (3 weeks)
Blue Tang (3 weeks)
4) age of tank?
little over a month old
5) other fish in the tank?
first i want to say please no TANG POLICE!!
yellow tang
Tomatoe Clown
Blue Mandarin Dragonet
6 Line Wrasse
Yellow Watchman Goby
Yellow Tail Damsel
Allens Damsel
Mono Argentus
6) how often have you noticed this in the past? (noticed that the cleaner shrimp had to work on ick?)
Few times a week for the last two weeks

melissa1

is there any way i can treat the ich with out removing my fish??
At this point i would ruin my entire tank trying to catch my fish!!!

elfdoctors

Slow down. That is an excessive amount of life in a very young tank. A young tank like yours should only have a few fish added at a time and wait for a few weeks before adding more. The tangs are particularly sensitive to poor water quality. There are many other waste products that are generated from the cycle which are not nitrogen based.
You obviously do not quarantine. You should consider getting a quarantine tank/hospital tank going soon.
Cleaner shrimp will not treat an ich infection. They MAY decrease the severity of it on certain fish. I have never had particularly good luck getting them to clean any of my fish, (much less the gills and other sensitive area which would also have to be treated to truly treat an infection.
You need to read the sticky at the top of this forum. Hyposalinity or copper are your best options (and the only reliable treatments for ich). Considering how many fish you have, you may have to remove your live rock and inverts to a different tank (or a clean rubbermaid container) and do hyposalinity in your display tank.

orangespot

melissa1, you jumped in too quick to the hobby. Livestock is way too much for your size tank. It is also too young of a tank. All your fish are probably stressed to the max. I did the same thing when I started my tank and I lost 90% of them. I hope you have better luck