Aiptasia Anemone/Trifid Anemone

regaltang2

How do you get rid of these pests? I think I have 3 of them. When I put something by them they disappear and go into their stalk thing. PLEASE any information is greatly appreciated Thanks

rollout487

copperbands work terrific on the aiptasia. dunno bout the trifid though.... copperbands looove to eat aiptasia

howardcu

Yeah, a copperband butterflyfish. I personally would go with the peppermints unless you have something that will eat them. I had probably 5 large aiptasia and countless little ones all over my 55 gallon and then I got 5 peppermint shrimp to take care of them. About a month later there was only one left and within a few more weeks that last aiptasia was gone. Plus the peppermints will breed every couple of weeks and their little ones are great fish food. Now my only problem is my sump is full of aiptasia, but I don't really want to put peppermints down there where they will eat my pods and stuff too. I think I am going to get a 10 or 20 gallon with a couple shrimp in it and move rocks to it for them to clean the aiptasia from.

funkyman

Thank you for this thread. I'm having the same problem (Aiptasia). I learned peppermint shrimp would do the trick, but didn't know haw many to get for a 50 gallon tank. That question got answered here too.

It's kind of funny. We've had fresh water tanks for years (we currently have 6). I finally got up the nerve to try a saltwater. My son and I were checking out the live rock we had purchased and put in the tank, looking for signs of life. We saw the Aiptasia, and were giving each other high fives and stuff thinking we had something worth while.

Then.....I found out it's the equivelent of a dandilion. DOH!!
:rolleyes: