Aiptasia in my star polyps ...

Was looking at the star polyps last night when they closed up ... looks like i have 2 small aiptasias on it. Should i just let them be or get a peppermint or 2 ?

wax32

Joe's Juice. I am a firm peppermint hater ever since they ate my Ricordeas. Whatever you decide, don't just let them be, they will spread.

kaia

Don't let them be, they will just grow and spread. You need to kill them by either injecting them with calcium or buying a shrimp. Good luck.

monalisa

Does anyone have a really good pic of an aptaisia? I'm curious...and a little concerned. I have a hitchiker polyp of some kind that's been in my tank for many months. I just noticed that there's suddenly another one. I'll get a pic if I can...
Tried to get a decent pic, no luck. I really don't think that what I have is aptasia though, thank goodness. I would like to find out what it is, if I can get a good pic...I'll keep trying.
Lisa :happyfish

speg

Originally Posted by mikegronholz
will peppermints eat the star polyps ?
Nope. Make sure you're actually getting true peppermints though!

As opposed to what ? How can i tell ? This site clearly states "These are true Caribbean Peppermint Shrimp." But how can i check at the LFS ?

speg

Well sometimes camelback shrimp are sold as peppermints... you dont want those in a reef.
Also there is a very close lookalike imposter of peppermint shrimp. Check out their names on the internet. I can never remember the scientific name of the imposter.

stanlalee

Originally Posted by Speg
Also there is a very close lookalike imposter of peppermint shrimp. Check out their names on the internet. I can never remember the scientific name of the imposter.
I think that one is an actual peppermint shrimp just from different waters (or something to that affect). I think the only difference is one is slightly darker (or something like that. either way its said you cant tell unless you have them both to compare).

nomad

Camelback shrimp have a humpback--peppermint shrimp don't have a humpback, they have an almost completely flat back with only a slight arch to it.

OMG ... if you have never seen true peppermints attack aiptasia, it is sometihng to behold ... the LFS lady put an aiptasia covered rock with these 4 peppermints ... took them about 5 minutes and the entire rock was clean !!! It was SOOOOOO cool to watch !!!

wax32

So I take it you bought some peppermints? If it were me I'd bring that GSP rock with the Aiptasia on it and get her to sic her pepps on it.

Yep, bought me just one ... wierd though ... my fire shrimp and him hang under the same rock and just sway during the day. I really thought they'd have an issue.

Would have sworn I read somewhere that fire shrimp don't like other shrimp ... wish my clown would chill ... he is really beating up on the firefish :(