Aiptasia Outbreak

huskernwy

I have a 16gal bowfront that I am going to make a LRWFO tanks that has been set up for about a week now. I bought the setup from a guy in the paper and it was still set up, so the live rock was already cured and in the tank. This is my first tank with liverock in it, pretty neat I think. Not know what some of the creatures were on the rock, I went to the LFS and described what I had. He said that it sounds like Aiptasia(rock anmones). After comming home and doing some research on these that is for sure what I have. My questions are as follows,
1. If you use the Joe's Juice, Kalk mix, or boiling water, after they die can you leave them in the tank or do you need to get them out of there?
2. Pepperment shrimp, some say they work and some say they don't, I will try my chances with that after the tank cycles.
I do not have anything in the tank except the live rock now. I was going to put a damsel in next week, but might wait untill I take care of the Aiptasia problem. Any help will be appreciated!!!!

bigarn

As stated, some peps will eat them..some won't. If you want to get rid of them right away go with Joe's Juice. No, you don't have to take them out of the tank once you Zap them. Hold off adding any fish until the cycle is complete and add a clean up crew first.
Good Luck with the tank

:D

nickfish

Originally posted by bigarn
some peps will eat them..some won't.
:D

Mine picked at a condy that I had in my 29 and the shrimp became a tasty treat for the anemonie as a result. When I lost the anemonie that was the only lost I was pleased with. I miss my peppermint shrimp.

nvmycj

What's Joe's Juice? And what do you do with it? Pour it in the tank? Once the

[hr]
die, will it affect my cycle? I've got a crew up crew, mandarin and a clown with 20#'s of LR in my 10 gallon tank. Do the

[hr]
sting you if you touch them? Thanks

huskernwy

Added the clean up crew on Monday. Also added a pepp shrimp. There were a few small Aiptasia left in the tank that I could not get to. The pepp took care of all the little ones that I could see. Must of been lucky!!

liverock27

Is it true that you can get rid of them by injecting lemon juice into their base? I was reading in a magazine about it, but before I go and put any lemon juice in my tank I wanted to see if any of yall had heard of this or tried this.

huskernwy

I have read that people have had sucess with lemon juice, but I did not try it. I tried injecting them with boiling hot water and killed one, then did a search on the net for Joes Juice and ordered some of that. Like I said eariler it took care of them within seconds. I am not sure what is in Joes Juice, looks like milk. Stuff really worked for me.