Aiptasia Outbreak

Hi Guys,
Happy New Year to all of you!
I need your help with regards to my tank problem. It has an outbreak of aiptasias. I tried injecting them with kalkwasser and water but still they are multiplying. I also did taking out the LRs and sprinkled them with salt mix and yet they still propagating. I read something online that a peppermint shrimp could solve the problem. If it does, are my good corals safe with this shrimp. Do you have anything in mind? I don't know what to do. Please help. Thanks.

bbreaux1

from what i been reading add a few pepperment shrimp thats just from what i read no experience iwth it im just starting out but ive been reading alot

fshhub

peppermints are god, and are SUPPOSED to be reef safe, BUT, we got one that was (guarenteed) supposed to leave our feather dusters alone but didn't, he was going to town on them, until we finally caught him
do an internet search for Berghia, they are a type of nudibranch, there are only 1 or 2 places that sell them, they ONLY eat aiptasia, only, the only problem with them is after you get rid of it, you should probably try and get rid of him to someone else who has an outbreak, because they will starve as i mentioned, they will ONLY eat aiptasia
HTH

volitan

Use the Peppermint shrimp! A good friend of mine was battling aiptasia for months and getting nowhere. The tank was getting worse every day with new ones popping up everywhere. Finally, he bought 20 Peppermint shrimp from this site, and 1 week later the aiptasia had been completely exterminated. I would recommend them strongly.

ebeckels

peppermint shrimp work well and i've had no problems with my corals....typically they are reef safe, although there are always a few shrimp who forget!

ratbattey

Peppermints cleaned up my aiptasia infestation, but within a week of the last aiptasia observed, they munched my feather dusters...pulled them right out of their tubes. The shrimp continue to grow and molt regularly. I have not observed them eating anything else, but they are nocturnal. I felt that was a modest price to pay to get rid of the aiptasia.

q

Yep, the peppermint shrimps do work (usually). There is 2 species on is good and the other isn't. Since the people on the board have had good luck with the one from SWF I would order from here and not take a risk.
Tomorrow I am going to order a couple myself along with a copperband butterfly.

I've heard many people say that peppermint shrimp do the job well. I know I had an outbreak in my tank a while back. I got scalding hot water in a syringe and shot it into their mouths. It worked. But, I only had 2 in the tank that were easily accesible so if you have some and are not able to get to them I would get some peppermint shrimp.

bubbatrev

Hate to sound like a broken record,but the peppermint shrimp are the best answer. I brought home some lr and lucky me, I had an outbreak. I purchased two shrimp, and almost over night I had no more problems. There hasn't been a single aiptasia in my tank. As far as the feather dusters go, all of mine look great. Hope this helps.
Bubba...

kelly

I heard that the black banded butterfly works also.(Chaetodon striatus), I have never tried one though, and have not read up on it to see how reef safe it is.

aczmey

Perfect solution is NOT Peppermint shrimp.
YOU NEED DYNOMITE - NO AIPTASIA EVER AGAIN.
Just don’t want to repeat what other people say. I bought a piece of LR with a lot of Aiptasia in it. Peppermint shrimp did the job
:D

joetst2

My peppermint shrimp love the apastasia and the feather dusters. Once again a small price to pay for getting rid of the problem.

saltydog

I had NO luck with the peppermint shrimp. (maybe I had the wrong variety?) I did add a copperband butterfly and no more aptasias. Except for the one corner of tank that my tomato clowns call home in their long tenacled anemone. They won't let the butterfly near it.
Now if someone has a good answer for bubble algea, my problem of the day will be solved. I've added 6 emarald crabs but they don't seem to being doing much to control the problem

q

After reading the above article I am curious as to the size of you butterfly?
thanks

saltydog

My Butterfly is about three inches across. I've had him for a little over 1 year. He has not touch any corals but seems to enjoy aptasia's. Thanks goodness.

maryc137

I'm curious what these things look like.Guess I've never seen them and would like to know what to watch for before I have a problem

biggdriver

I have had good luck also with copperband's but you have to remmember that they are kind of touchy in transit..THey stress easily but once acclimated they do a great job...Try the shrimp first and if nothing else add a healthy copperband..

fishnerd1

I had the pepperemint shrimp and it did nothing, then died a month later.
Kalkwasser used to work, but I ran out and tried some Bio Calcium. I injected them (1 part calcium, 2 parts water) and it seems to have not killed, but made the Apestasia stronger! I am thinking it has to be Kalkwasser calcium to work. I can't find any though, I will have to mail order it.

zman1

Originally Posted by biggdriver
I have had good luck also with copperband's but you have to remmember that they are kind of touchy in transit..THey stress easily but once acclimated they do a great job...Try the shrimp first and if nothing else add a healthy copperband..

I bought a C-Butterfly for this purpose... It has picked at a few Aiptasia. It has done a much better job at clearing up all of the feather dusters off the LR :mad: and has picked at a very small bristle worm. Now it' loves Brime and Mysis shrimp
My guess is, the one I have will have to starve before it will go after Aiptasia with any passion.
I have had it for about 2 months and it's about 2.5 to 3 inches long. It's lost it's pestacide appeal and now it's just a nice fish to watch.....