Aiptasia Question

cjqsmom

I have 1 rock that has over 16 aiptasia on it. I noticed it yesterday pulled the rock out of my tank it is now sitting in a stroyform box with fresh saltwater (not from the tank) Is there anyway I cant put something in the water like lemon juice to let the things eat it with out using a syringe?
There is only one more in my tank but its too low to get too. The rock that has all of them was just purchased about a month ago.
If there is a way please let me know how.
I went to walmart, smart and final and cannot find pickling lime any other ideas where to get it?

salt life

try to find Aiptasia-X, you need to use a syringe regardless to make sure it covers their mouth plate (or whatever it's called), also your best bet is to kill the one that is still in your DT or it will also spread like a weed and you will have a bigger headache.

invertcrazy

If you have an old pot and the rock will fit into it you can boil the rock in some water. This will kill them but will also kill anything else that is on the rock. Also as stated you'll need to get rid of the other one that is still in the tank. Just my .02

blenny

Ive also herd you can use real real high salt mix that will do the trick also, But boy when they start it can be a battle , you just need to stick with the fight don't give up.

t316

Look in your grocery store on the isle where they have jars and canning items. It's Mrs. Wages Pikling Lime. Mix (1) part lime to (2) parts boiling water.

nordy

Originally Posted by InvertCrazy
http:///forum/post/3044197
If you have an old pot and the rock will fit into it you can boil the rock in some water. This will kill them but will also kill anything else that is on the rock. Also as stated you'll need to get rid of the other one that is still in the tank. Just my .02
This method will work and if the rock in question is only one of many in your tank, scrub it off real good after boiling it and it will become live again in a little while after getting re-seeded from your tank. But, definitly get that last one and keep a close eye out-it may well be not the only other one in your tank!

jas1

So the only real way to get rid of it is to use boiling water/lime juice????? I bought some peppermint shrimp and they ate a few until my aarow crab ate them

mech-a-nic

pepermints and a copperband butterfly did the trick for me but the copperband only lived 6 mons after the aptasia was gone. You can spot kill it, try to keep it at bay with peperments but its like herpes.... one you get it, you got it for life. You can treat outbrakes, but its alwase there.

mantisman51

Peppermints worked for me on the LR, but the not the aiptasia on the substrate-away from the LR. Also, they didn't do anything to the big one that started the colony. So, I used Aiptasia Control (same as AiptasiaX) and got the rest that the shrimp didn't get. The AC cost $10. I had my LFS order it so I didn't pay more for shipping than the product. Even here at SWF, the AiptasiaX is $10, but another $10 for shipping.

mantisman51

I just checked; it's now $13.99 here. If you buy either Aiptasia Control or Aiptasia X, order it from the LFS. Most buy in bulk, so they don't pay extra for shipping.

cjqsmom

Well I tired to inject them with lemon juice and vinager but there were a few inside a hole in the rock that I couldnt reach so I ended up boiling the rock last night. I boiled it in rodi water for 10 minutes then let it cool in the pan. I plan on scrubing it today. do I just put it back in my display or do I need to QT it I about died watching my rock loose its color and all the little bugs and dusters die

mech-a-nic

how big is your tank? how many rocks? boiling the rock and replacing it will cause a "mini cycle". how much depends on your tank size and what percent the rock is of your total rock. you will need to "recure" it if you have the means too.

jas1

Originally Posted by Mech-a-nic
http:///forum/post/3048899
pepermints and a copperband butterfly did the trick for me but the copperband only lived 6 mons after the aptasia was gone. You can spot kill it, try to keep it at bay with peperments but its like herpes.... one you get it, you got it for life. You can treat outbrakes, but its alwase there.
THAT STINKS! I have a copperband on order. I have 3 outa 5 peppermint shrimp left and they have eaten a couple of the small ones but they arent going anywhere the big one that started it all.

mech-a-nic

you might have better luck with the copperband he is just such a slow eater he has no chance in my tank. the clown, blue tang, golden midas, and sixline are just to fast for him. I tryed to target feed him but it was not good enuff
was a shame too I realy liked him.

jas1

I hope my scopas 2 percs and blue hippo wont be too fast for the copperband to eat???? I made a huuuuuge mistake of trying to pull the big one off the rock
After I read that they have larvae/eggs in their tube and if they feel threatened they'll spit some out and BAMM more little aiptasia

fishtaco

My pair of peppermint shrimp are fairly large and have taken down some big aiptasia. They are standing by and ready to deploy into to my new nano tank if I end up with them in that tank also.
F.T.

Originally Posted by Mech-a-nic
http:///forum/post/3050859
Boiling water works too just suck some up in a turky baster and zap them with it just be carful aroud other corals
I'm not saying this does not work in all instances but I just want to state that it did not work for me. Like somone mentioned I think the apitasia just feel threatened and release all the larvae into the water and it just spreads the problem.
I have had good results using kalc paste and lately I have just used superglue. I smear a tiny blob over them and the rock and you can't even tell where they were.