Aiptasia war Zone

aquaworld75

I have a 75 gallon reef tank with Aiptasia as my "main coral" :(
I want to get about 5-10 pepermints to wipe them out.
My question concerns the fact that I have a coral banded shrimp in my tank and I do not want the CBS and the Peps to fight.
I hear food source is a key. As far as Aiptasia I have about 50 total with about 20 large ones.
any suggestions on Coral Banded Shrimp and Pepermint compatibility??
thanks in advance

calvindo

get a banded butterfly. i had two and he did justice within a day. just make sure you dont have any feather duster in your tank. he'll take them out too.

tony detroit

Butterflys are cool, but eventually you will have to take them out of most reefs.
The banded shrimp is a wash, may be good, may not, personally I wouldn't try one again.
The pepermints are a good buy, but they will only eat small ones and only if they are starving hungry.
For large ones shoot a thick kalk and water mix on them with a syringe and it will kill them in less than a few minutes. Make sure you do this with your pumps turned off.

clarkiiboi

Just for an added opinion, I agree with everything tony said. No to a butterfly, and yes to pepps--they will get along. Just keep an eye on the CBS, as they get bigger it seems to determine if its a well behaved shrimp or not (I won't have one again either). **Pepps are know to eat yellow polyps, so caution there (just a heads up). If you need info on kalk mix for your larger ones here's a great detailed thread, pics and all. HTH

aquaworld75

Thanks so much for the info on the Coral Banded, the butterfly, and the Pepps.....
I tested my Pepp that I have in my other tank by moving one rock from my 75 with 2 aiptasia into his tank and 2 days later both are gone :)!!
I may just start by transferring him to my larger tank and then adding more if he gets full
Thanks again.....also I will try the kalk paste

aquaworld75

I don't know but I know in my case....
I remember when I bought a piece of live rock and it was already on there....then it spread.
I believe bright lights and over feeding can add to the spreading (some one correct me if this is incorrect)

calvindo

believe it or not... i actually tried to buy a few aptasia when first started with this hobby. luckily lfs says "you dont want that" heheheehe