Aiptasia??

T

tizzo

Can somebody verify for me if this is aiptasia. It is so small that it looks like fuzz and I have been watching it for a while. Looks like aiptasia, but it's so incredibly small.

T

tizzo

New question. My lfs has "guarenteed" aiptasia eating peppermints. (I say guarenteed because I saw the guy put a piece of LR in their tank and they jumped on and devoured it!!) Anyway, I now have a cleaner, a blood and a coral banded shrimp...
Will they get along if I add a peppermint or two??

D

daniel411

Originally posted by Tizzo
New question..... Anyway, I now have a cleaner, a blood and a coral banded shrimp...

I've had cleaners, blood, and peppermint shrimp all in the same tank without problems. I've never trusted coral banded shrimp though.
Is the aptasia just on one rock? If so, I'd consider removing it from the display to its own tank. Just to be on the safe side, they sometimes multiply really fast.

T

tizzo

Actually I have found this aiptasia "fuzz" in 3 seperate locations. 3 different rocks. BOOOOOOOOooooo
I guess I'll be going to get me a new invert tomorrow.
:jumping: (I think...)

stuckinfla

I have read they will only eat them if they are real small, after they get bigger, you have to kalk.

golfish

Originally posted by Tizzo

My experience says no.......

alison

:yes: Agree with stuckinfla about the aptasia eating shrimp. I bought a hella lot of pepprements and they only ate the tiny tiny aptasia, and I had to kalk all my aptasia, which wasn't too bad, but kinda time consuming. I would kalk your bigger aptasia tonight, and then get the shrimp tomarrow or whatever, so you've killed the big ones at least. Good luck, I've been there, so just give a shout if what you do isn't workin, or you need to be guided through the kalk process. Oh, and did you know there is a kind of nudibranch that exclusivly feeds on aptasia, and keeps the new ones under control. I've seen them on the net, and they eat the babie aptasia as well as the huge ones. I would do that as well. They are like $30 I think to get one, and then if you want more than one, to breed them which is kinda unique, you put them in a dark cabinet in thier own dish in saltwater for a while, and then it either breeds or lay eggs, and then you have a bunch of them. Anyways, kinda a funny nudi, but I've heard on the net, and from friends, theres nothing better than that nudi for aptasia. good luck and let us know if you need more help. Good luck, ali

alison

:happyfish Oh and just a word of caution the blood shrimp/fire shrimp sometimes don't get along with peperment shrimp. So just keep a close eye on that. Good luck, ali