Aiptasia

nitehawk

I just purchased a beuatiful Devils Hand from my LFS. It is a 6" hand with a smaller one on the side. The only problem is there are about 6 aiptasia on the rock also. I read the info on the hitchiker thread and was wondering if anyone had any info on how to inject with the kalkwasser paste.

hot883

Originally Posted by NITEHAWK
the Aiptasia's are about 1.5 innches high. Are these to large for a peppermint shrimp to eat?
each shrimp is different. I bought 3 and they ate all the aiptasia stalks in one night except 2-3 and they are the closest to their home. Ha!

nitehawk

I guess i will run out tommorow and find 3. how long does it take for these to spread. should I put this rock in some kind of hospital tank for the night.

chipmaker

I would not put it in a hospital tanak just for aipstasia.Its not gonna cover you up with the stuff over night.....I have some small pieces that stay small and intend to watch them for a bit.........I also have peppermint shrimp and they do not touch the stuff......Joes Juice is perhaps the best stuff to remove it. Its cheap, and does the job, and you can literally see the aipstasia gobbling down the stuff as you feed it. Then it dies!

keonia

2nd the motion for Joe's juice -- I've seen it work!!! it's only about 8 bucks and comes with everything you need.

hot883

water is free too. Boil the water, using a turkey baster squeeze the boiling water on the aiptasia, then release the baster bulb and should be able to suck up the aiptasia and then discard. Be careful around other life things though in the tank.

nitehawk

Well I went to the LFS to get peppermint shrimp and they did not have any. Wanted the lfs to so me where the Joe's juice was but was way to busy checking out other peole water samples.Waited about a half hour and got fed up waiting .Doesn't anybody around my house check there own water. Well I tried the kalkwater method in seprate tube .The Aiptasia fell of within a couple of minutes. Hope I did not burn the Devils hand.