aiptasia ?

chipmaker

Looks that way..........a lot of folks assume aipstasia is on the brown side, but it can be any number of various colors........The thing that identifies most unwanted anemones is the shape of those tenacles......Aipstasia has tenacles that are wide at base and have a constant taper until they end in a sharp point....whereas the more desireable types are pretty well the same width all the way up and do not taper, or taper as much and usually end in a rounded end......

sw-newbe

I'm building a refugium and ended up with tons of these $#%$-# things. Is there a way to treat the tank as a whole to get rid of them or do I need to pull them all out one at a time? I want to get them all out before I plumb the fuge into the main tank.

wareagle

I noticed one in my tank the other day. I bought this stuff at the lfs called joes juice. Its a bottle with a syringe. Runs $20. Squirt a little at the anenome. Dead in seconds.

ktsdad

Peppermint Shrimp work sometimes. Mine didn't touch it.
Copper Banded Butterflies work, but then you are stuck with a very difficult fish to keep alive!
Joe's Juice works everytime!

Pulling them off the rock won't work.
Get some Joe's Juice and take care of the problem!

socal57che

I spot feed mine shrimp pellets. It's about 4" tall and can fan out 3" or so. Never had them get out of control and have had up to 5 at one time, most of them getting 3/4" tall or so. I let them filter chunks and like watching them eat. I think someone said a squirt of lemon juice from a syringe into the base would kill it, and you don't make "Joe" any richer either.

chipmaker

I fyour paying $20 for JJ you must be getting --- along with the purchase.........wow......even in the LFS here its only $7.00 for bottle / applicator..........Lemon juice (1 single drop) injected into base will do it in almost imediately.......
I have one brilliant yellow green aipstasia that is just beautiful.......that I am letting grow. At night or under actinics it just jumps out at you with its colors.....
When I first stated fooling with marine life, I had initially seen (as we all do) all these little critters on the glass of the tank at night. I had noticed some little critters, white in color, that resembled a multi armed starfish or perhaps jelly fish, no bigger than a pin point in size and with legs/arms/tenacles finer than a hair, and white in color.........and n another forum was told they are beneficial.........well after a few months of watching them, (they actually move so I assumed they were one of the animals listed above in this post). Wrong, they were the start of aipstasia. I have watched them from this pin point size grow up into small easily recognizeable anemones........Now I know better sdop when I initially see them they get removed with a hypodermic syringe fitted with a piece of airline tube and its paced over the aipstasia, and slide and then sucked up into the syringe...Oh and by the way, some may think that lemon juice will alter their ph, yes it will, but not if you do one or two at a time, and only use one drop, you'll never pick up the change on your ph test. Vinegar perhaps has a bit less undesireable things in it (DOC's) as compared to lemon juice and works equally well.