Aiptasia?

r1v2c

It's about 2 weeks now that I have a piece of live rock in my tank and I just realized this anemone thing poking out. I tried to take a pic but I'm having an algae problem right now and you can really make it out cause it's small. Anyway ... how do aiptasia look like when they first start to grow? I've been looking at pics on the internet and it seems like they have alot of tenticles coming out of their base. My thing only has about 10 and the base is not even 1 cm tall.
I know it's hard without a pic, but... any ideas?

1knight164

The ones i've noticed were almost transparent/brownish in color when they're very small. When you touch it, does it quickly "retreat" into it's hole?

r1v2c

Yes, it retreats directly into it's tube. And I just realized that there are 2 other little ones (about 1mm each) next to it. The tube itself is more white then transparent but the tenticles are brownish.
... this doesn't sound good... and I have a pepp shrimp too...

r1v2c

this may be wishful thinking, but i've been looking on the internet, ...could these be feather duster worms ?

aztec reef

Peppers are a hit or miss. So don't hold your breath.
Inject aiptasia in the middle of base with a thick solution of kalkwasser,boiling water,aiptasia & mojano remedy.
Keep water chemistry good, cause they love nutrients and intense lighting..

aztec reef

Do they retract instantly and fast or do they retract slowly like in slowmo?
Also feathers only retract their feathers, oppossed to aiptasia which retracts entirely..
I would post apic, but I'm on my cellee.

r1v2c

good to know aztec ... they retract pretty fast an entirely ... the tube retracts too. They are still pretty small ... can't I just squish them ?

aztec reef

Originally Posted by r1v2c
http:///forum/post/2780901
good to know aztec ... they retract pretty fast an entirely ... the tube retracts too. They are still pretty small ... can't I just squish them ?
Don't squish or scrape them off, as they would only multiply like weeds.

dmjordan

if they are aptasia and you "squish them" they will release lots of little spores into the water column which will attach every where in your tank making the battle to rid your them seem like a impossible mission.

dingus890

If they are indeed aiptasia, DO NOT SQUISH THEM.Aiptasia are pretty evil litte buggers that can multiply even if you kill one, if any part of their tissue remains,they can regenerate.

What I do to get rid of mine is inject it's tissue with a needle syringe full of either boiling water or very high salinity water.The high salinity will melt the tissue of the anemone.It may tank a few times to kill it but it's worth it as they are a beast when they start multiplying.
I had one in my reef tank the other day.

r1v2c

i guess i'll need to go get some syringes ... should I wait a couple of days just to be sure so that i'm not killing something that's good? ... i know it's up to me but, any suggestions ?
thanks for all your help !