Aiptasia?

r1v2c

Can anyone identify what this is? There is one larger one and a couple of smaller ones growing all around it. Thanks.

r1v2c

I'll try to get a better pic, but is it normal that it seems to be spreading from it's base. Do aiptasia spread at their base? ... As you can see, I'm a bit paranoid that it's aiptasia !

r1v2c

Here's 2 other pics... but I'm not sure if they are better. The tentacles retract intot he tube and the tube retracts a little. Do aiptasia spread at the base like that though ?

r1v2c

Actually I tried to touch it again with a stick ... and the tube retracted more.. ;-(.
Does this change what you think it may be ?

spanko

If it is not retreating totally into the rock I would suggest to you that it is not an anemone. If it is really bothering you though, take the rock out and scrub them off. But seriously these are not a problem from your description and the pictures.
Let's see if others chime in here to give you a better feeling about it all.

r1v2c

spanko, thanks for your help ... i'm not second guessing you ... i'm just new to the hobby and wanna make sure i understand and am explaining properly.

nw2salt08

I have some like those on a rock and they retract all the way back. Not quite sure what they are but they're cool.

timbodmb

I'm almost convinced that it is... Or it could be another type of clove polyp. They are photosynthetic, so try bringing it closer to the light and see if it takes off... They are a fun coral to watch. Low to low-medium flow.

r1v2c

A little update on the above ... I didn't end up getting rid of them ... and they've spread and gotten larger.
I'm still not sure what they could be ... any ideas? Is this Xenia ... if it is do they just start growing out of nowhere?

mpdan

i have the same thing growing seems to reproduce fairly quickly dont seem to harm anything so far have not grown too big either seeming to stay small