Aiptasias and treatment poll

bammbamm74

What does everyone think is the best treatment for getting rid of Aiptasias?
Stop Aiptasia injection?
Kalkwasser and water paste injection?
Sodium Hydroxide paste injection?
Hot Water injection?
Marine glue covering?
Removing rock and scrubbing area with bleach?

underthesea

i have used stop aptasia and it worked real well for me. i have also took calcium and made a real strong solution of it and injected them with it with good results

q

Peppermints shrimps and boiling water or kalk slurpies. Epoxy has also worked well for me too. It can be an eye sore until it gets cofered with coraline algae.
Adding fish is more intense and has more repercutions as far as bio load and increased care.
I use the injections on the big ones and then the small ones get eaten. Worked well for me. I also have a Copperband Butterbfly but it is not really needed IMO.

S

sinner's girl

Peppermints shrimps. I had a big aiptasias and lot's of small one, 48 then were all gone. Peppermint shrimp ate them all up, then the CBS ate the Peppermint shrimp...
why buy and put chemicals and stuff in your tank? so it the natural way. Just my opinion since you asked.

bammbamm74

But aren't peppermint shrimps bad for reef tanks? I have a sabae and some mushrooms, won't they pick at that? Oh, and i have a coral banded shrimp.

fender

Peppermints shrimps. They are reef safe, although occasionally you do get a bad apple.

javajoe

I used peppermint shrimp for mine- wored great, although one of three started eating my hammer coral and my elagant coral so we deep fried him for supper. He wasn't minty like i thought he would be. :D
Actually, we traded him for a smaller, less violent one-- the one we had would also swimover and bite my fingers when i was in the tank moving stuff around!

javajoe

No- it wouldn't hurt when he bit me-- the first time though, I startled me a little. He kept moving towards me like he was trying to threaten my hand as if it was another creature (which i guess i am :) ) and so I stuck my finger closer thinking, "I wonder if he'll try to bite me?" and sure enough- he swam over really fast and pinched me with both pincers! it was quite funny. He then would do it almost anytime i had my hand in the tank- so it was not much of a surprise when he stared eating the corals when i added them.... The funny thing is, peppermint shrimp are pretty see-thru, so you could see bits of green reflecting in his stomach from the elegant for the next few hours...
He went into a ziplock bag that night, and to the fish store the next day.

predator

As far as injections go I'm going to tell you something a little unorthodox. I know it sounds a little crazy, but it knocked my aptasia problem right out. Tobassco Sauce. I promise you I was a little reluctant myself. But I'll be damned if it did'nt knock it right out.

luke

The epoxy is the way to go if you only have a few. Cover the hole. Let it sit for a week. Pop off the "eye sore" (remove piece of epoxy). Problem solved.
Luke

dwarfs

peppermint shrimp worked for me,you have to really watch when buying them some of the help in the fish stores will give you camel shrimp, and they do munch on corals??so i have been told?? some people say they won't i just stay away form them,you really have to look close to tell the difference between camel and pepperment shrimp,but the pepps are redder. i read they wil not eat the larger aiptasis?

dwarfs

peppermint shrimp worked for me,you have to really watch when buying them some of the help in the fish stores will give you camel shrimp, and they do munch on corals??so i have been told?? some people say they won't i just stay away form them,you really have to look close to tell the difference between camel and pepperment shrimp,but the pepps are redder. i read they wil not eat the larger aiptasis?