Air bubbles in overflow tube???

michelle13

I seem to be getting a lot of air bubbles trapped in my overflow U-tube, to the point that it almost stops the siphon! How can I fix this??? Any help is appreciated! Oh yeah....I even tried cleaning it out and I still get them.

michaeltx

you have to modify it with a airline.
what you do is drill a hole in the top of the u-tube and use a airline

[hr]
( silcone it in place) run a airline from that to a venturie outlet on a powerhead and it will suck the air out for you.
its a little tricky to get it in the right place but when you get it there it works great.
Mike

broomer5

You might want to consider getting a bigger return pump.
That's the cause of the bubbles getting trapped in the curve of the U tube.
Not enough flow.
Bubbles may still end up getting sucked up the tank side of the U tube, but with more flow .. they will be pushed right on through.
I see you have a 29 and a 10 gallon saltwater tanks.
I'm guessing you have the sump/overflow on the 29 ?
It's likely you have an overflow with a 1" drainline, that could handle 700 gph ......... but you're running a small return pump like a Mag5 or less ( or a powerhead for that matter ).
Can you describe your set up in detail ???

michaeltx

I had the same problem with mine it was a 1 inch drainline with a mag7 the flow rate was good but overtime would trap bubbles in it. this helped it out a lot. I didnt think about the flow rate but thats a good place to start also. I would sill install the top

[hr]
its added security with it. I almost overflowed my tank because I wasnt paying attention to my u tube and it broke its siphon so everything in the tank below was getting pumped up into the tank and had nowhere to go. luckily I was about to feed when it broke so I cought it in time.
Mike

michelle13

my husband agrees that we need a bigger pump, so I guess we'll try that and go from there! Thanks for your help:D