Air Bubbles

pattyr

Hi,
My tanks is three years old. I've recently change my lights to T5's. But since I've changed lights I've got a lot of small air bubbles (which I call them) on my tank walls and on my rock. Just wondering if anyone knows what is causing these bubbles and how do I get rid of them. Didn't know if it might me a change in light or if it's something else. I don't like all thse bubbles in my thank. Any suggestions??? Help!!!

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by PattyR
Hi,
My tanks is three years old. I've recently change my lights to T5's. But since I've changed lights I've got a lot of small air bubbles (which I call them) on my tank walls and on my rock. Just wondering if anyone knows what is causing these bubbles and how do I get rid of them. Didn't know if it might me a change in light or if it's something else. I don't like all thse bubbles in my thank. Any suggestions??? Help!!!
are you syre your not sprouting "BUBBLE ALGAE"?

hatessushi

I have T-5's and when I started my tank I got air bubbles after the cycle completed also. That is oxygen made by the algea. I still get it but very little now.

poniegirl

Patty, I'm in the same situation, almost to a 'T'. Three year old tank, switched from Flourecent to T5. I had the air bubbles coming off the sand, off the LR, seemed like out of thin air. Then they were gone in the AM. Then they were back about 3 hours after lights up.
I also had an outbreak of cyano on the sand, even on the tail of one of my seahorses! I still do get the bubbles, but no more red, thank heaven.
I've tried everything from increased water changes to increase water flow to make the bubbles go away. They are reduced, but still there.
What size is your tank? How long have you had the T5's?

elguapo

I am having the same thing mentioned in this thread after switching to 110 watt CFs after only having NO flourescent over my tank for 2.5 years. I was worried that it was my sand bed producing lots of nitrates but maybe it isn't so much of a big deal. I was planning on switching out my sand this week but maybe I'll put that off for a bit. Any more info from people with lots of bubbles coming off their rocks and sand after a light switch? Should I be worried?

riafekim

I have been going through the same ordeal. I upgraded my lights then all of the sudden bubbles were everywhere. Shortly after that the algae showed up. I have been fighting that for the past couple of weeks. I am sure you know this but make sure your phosphates stay low and hopefully you won't have the outbreak I did.

poniegirl

I guess we know that light is a food source for some life forms. In my mind (which struggles with scientific ideas, but likes numbers!) that means that the new lights must be reaching something and feeding it that the old lights weren't. Just what, IDK.
I just did an overhaul on my tank and am shocked that the issue is now worse than it was...
that was a long day, for this result.

elguapo

did you stir up the sand bed? sometimes that can cause issues with the bacteria and lead to lower nitrate removal.