air chemicals? (flea bomb)

bill109

hello everyone
well our dog just passed away and we discovered fleas. about a trillion. so we have to use this thing called the bomb.. its a thing u put in each room that has fleas and it fogs the room.. you leave for 3 hours and then come back after and the fleas dead..
now it says to be cautious around aquariums.. everyone i spoke to said cover the tank up.. so i have to get cling wrap and saran wrap and plasctic it all off.. not fun
how bad is this sttuff? has anyone ever used it?
just a side note.. if this happens to anyone and your legs get bitten by fleas, spray bugspray alllll overr your feet and legs and they wont bite. took me a week to figure it out cus i thought it was poison ivy..

anyhow looking for some other people who have used it or have knowledge or ideas for me...
thanks again

I don't know about using a flea bomb. Even if you wrap you aquarium in cling wrap, the smallest space could let in the POISON. I would definately run alot of carbon when you are done.
Personally, I would look for a different option.
Good luck.

I'm assuming you have carpet in the house?
What you need to do is forget the pesticides of "The Bomb". Goto the local grocery store and buy a few box's of 20 mule team borax.
This article will help you use it, but the trick is to use it under the beds, under furniture and behind furniture FIRST. This is because the fleas will move away from the borax and find places you didn't place it. If you do the hard spots first, then they won't migrate there.
Flea Control
This will allow you to stay in the house, save a ton of cash, and clean as you rid the fleas. As well you won't have to worry about cleaning dishes, counters, and anything else left out. I've done this myself many many times and it worked like a charm. Some Vet's will even admit it works unless they are the ones selling you the bomb's and flea products.
Good luck

sepulatian

Cover the tank with a plastic drop. This has been done many times. Buy a large sheet of plastic. Cover your tank with it. Do the bombing. Open windows after and be sure to pick the plastic up and remove it, rather than drag it off. Your tank will be fine. Keep the flow going in the tank. Bring the plastic outside. I did it in my last place for the same reason.

adam132601

If you've done it many many times it way not be working as well as you think! :) Just playing.
When our house got tented I erred on the side of cation and did the following;
I moved all the fish and lr into rubbermade containers and to a friends house for a few days. I drained the tank down to just enough water to cover the sand bed and disconnected the filter. I took the sump and everyhting over to the friends place too. All I left in the house to be tented was the stand, the tank, sand, half an inch of water on top of it. I sealed the bottom of all the thru-glass hardware fittings with electrical tape, then saran wrap electrical taped on, then a sock, then more tape. I covered the top of the tank with one large sheet of visqueen, then taped the edges to death. I did that and ended up with 4 layers of visqueen over it, all individually taped.
After we were back in the tented house I cleaned the s%^t out of the wood stand and the outside of all the visqueen tape etc. Then I peeled off the rest of the tape layers, re-assembeled the system, and got it running. I put my fish back in the next day. Yes, I saved all the old water and kept the filter media wet. I never had a spike when I put it all back in.
Good luck! I used it as a good time to really clean the tank and the equipment well.

bill109

Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/2759136
Cover the tank with a plastic drop. This has been done many times. Buy a large sheet of plastic. Cover your tank with it. Do the bombing. Open windows after and be sure to pick the plastic up and remove it, rather than drag it off. Your tank will be fine. Keep the flow going in the tank. Bring the plastic outside. I did it in my last place for the same reason.
i am so glad you charmed in here..
i started reading them and got the dont use tht method in all posts..i plan to egt saran wrap and tape/wrap off all open surfaces, sump/fixtures, tank top and then put a huge plastic shield made of plastic sheet of this stuff made by ppg over the tank
i hope all goes well..
now we are bombing the downstairs entirely.. shoudl i close off the tanks upstairs as well? there are 2 tanks upstairs.. there will be 2 flea bombs downstairs..