Air from overflows

yaksplat

I just ran all of the plumbing for my 120 and filled it. The return pipes in the sump either splash like crazy if they are above water or they sound like a hot tub if they're placed underwater. How do you handle the water returning to the sump. Should it be run through a filter sock?
Thanks
Jim

tony detroit

I ran a T fitting before the downpipe goes into the water. On this T, put a 4'' piece of pipe going up, and the pipe on the bottom going below the water level. Leave the top open. Leave the lowersection of the drain submersed in the water. Cut some sponge and mush it inside the top of the pipe that comes off the T. No more sound problems. If the room is very quiet you will get a slight sucking noise, but you can barely hear it. This is the best way I have found so far to get rid of water falling noise.

jimlssc24

I put a small bucket in my sump and the water drains into. Then I stack L/R on the other side of the sump. So the bubbles hit and pop on the L/R instead of getting into the tank. I will post a picture later.
:yes:

tony detroit

Yes to an extent.
Let me see if I understand what you're saying correctly:
Your problem is the drains from the display go into the sump and if they are submerged make a loud bubbling sound, but if they're not submerged they make a continous waterfall sound?
Is this correct?

tony detroit

Do as I said before then. Get a T fitting for each drainline. Run the one side to your drain pipe. Then run one pipe up and one pipe down from the head of the "T" fitting itself. Submerge the one end and leave the other exposed to air. Again, make sure you put a good 4'' piece of pipe or so coming out the top or you will get some splashing out of it. Stuff a piece of sponge in there, or filter floss to kill the little bit of "gurgle" sound that it will make.
The airbubbles are created by a vacuum/displacement/pressurization problem.
The air opening on the top of the T fitting fixes this.
The idea mentioned above by another user will work, but you get a large collection area for waste to collect and fester.
JMO