air in sand/odor

erica_phish

We have a 125 gal. reef tank (about 2 yr old). Recently performed water changed and cleaned, and noticed that the sand felt dense. Also, air bubbles seemed to be coming out of the sand and there is a foul odor. I am about to perform solme water tests, but I just didn't know if this was an indicator of something bad happening. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

saltn00b

welcome to the boards!
the bubbles in your sand are formed from anaerobic bacteria's waste processes. if a lot came up at once, it may acount for a bad smell. if your tank has been smelling foul regardless, then something died. first thing i would do is a water change and start testing.

erica_phish

thank you both for such quick responses. We perform 30-40 gal water changes about every 40 days. we just did one about 2 days ago, but the next day nitrates were high. i think something(s?) died. We performed another 30 gal water change and it lowered the nitrates, but that sand is making me nervous. what is the best way to rid the sand of waste?
thanks bunches!

bang guy

Originally Posted by erica_phish
http:///forum/post/2882673
thank you both for such quick responses. We perform 30-40 gal water changes about every 40 days. we just did one about 2 days ago, but the next day nitrates were high. i think something(s?) died. We performed another 30 gal water change and it lowered the nitrates, but that sand is making me nervous. what is the best way to rid the sand of waste?
thanks bunches!
The animals living in your live sand should be disposing of the waste. If you are experiencing bubbles of hydrogen sulfide (stinky sand) then either these animals (worms, pods, etc.) are not thriving for some reason. Do you have any predators that are stirring up the sand, or anything else that disturbs the sand bed? Is there enough waterflow over the sand?
A healthy sand bed will have bubbles but they will be Nitrogen and will not stink. You should also be able to see some of these animals just looking at the sand, especially worms.