AK's 240gal build thread....

aquaknight

Well after a bit of delay here and there, the build is finally getting underway!

Still quite primarily at this point. Getting the stand finished first, then redoing some issues with the tank, then the canopy.
Got the upper and lower sections of the stand done. The stand will be 40" tall. Tired of having to bend down to look into the tanks. I'll have my snorkel gear hanging on the tank probably
. Stand design will be two boxes held up by 12 2"x6" and 12 2"x4" behind the 2"x6". More pics to come as the build progresses.

Here's our Alabama Special jig for the chop saw. Stand design put emphasis on wood pieces being identical. Impressed with how well it worked.

Pic of the tank/details coming over dinner....

aquaknight

Originally Posted by small triggers
http:///forum/post/3177215
looking good so far...do you stand around looking into your tank? i have mine at 32' high cuz im sitting,,,,,hhrrrmmm
Well sort of going for both. I hate when I feed the tank I have to step back and bend down to look into the tank. With the chair we have in our office, 40" isn't going to be too tall to see in comfortable. But mainly, I wanted more space under cabinet. I only had 24" of height inside my 125gal stand and that got old very quickly
. With this tank, I'll have close to 32", more then enough room for my skimmer, and wanted the option to have enough height for a large algae turf scrubber.

Some things about the tank, we got a deal on it as the top center braces were busted. New ones are in the brown paper. Also I'm not happy with the left front silicone. I will probably redo that side.
For the sump, there's 2 40gal breeders. One will be a dedicated refugium, and the other will be equipment/return. The skimmer is my AquaC EV-240 from my 125gal. It's a bit undersized, but with the larger refugium and maybe ATS, should be enough. Also want to run Ozone, and the EV is rated for it and even has a JG fitting ready.
The tank is drilled in the top left. I originally wanted to do a closed loop, and use the HOB overflow, but probably will be doing just PH's and making an overflow out of the hole.

browniebuck

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/3177253

Some things about the tank, we got a deal on it as the top center braces were busted. New ones are in the brown paper. Also I'm not happy with the left front silicone. I will probably redo that side.
the center braces were busted...the new ones are in the brown paper...

R

rcreations

Looking good! That's one thing I always wish is that my stand was higher. It'd open up a lot more possibilities for skimmers.

kjr_trig

Sweet...I'm following along.
I like the taller stand, not so much for viewing reasons, just looks impressive up a litter higher.

aquaknight

Thanks guys! Yea, the braces were gone. The guy had movers move the tank and they apparently dropped something on the braces (more likely the tank rolled onto something and took out the braces). They paid out enough for a larger tank, so the guy upgraded and sold us this one.
About the stand height, yea, that was one of the most frustrating things about my 125gal, just so limiting, not to mention with the 29gal fuge I had in there, impossible to work with. Unsure of what height we'll make the canopy, but at a minimum 15", so looking at about 6.75' of total height of the tank, which should be impressive. Also we're using 2"x6" for two reasons, first we'll be able to offset the front vertical supports, so the center two doors will reverse clam shell open, and we'll have about 40" of wide open access to the sump area. And we won't have to skin the front of the stand. We bought the higher grade stuff, so the softwood grain will be a bit different form the norm.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by runn3rb3an
http:///forum/post/3178219
following along

stocklist?
Was gonna wait, at least for full disclosure (just cuz everyone else does it
). But now is as good as any....
The fish I have now that will be going in, are;
Lunare Wrasse
Lei Trigger
Naso tang
Blueface Angel
Rock Beauty Angel
Japanese Golden Hawkfish
As for new additions, the focus will be Angels and Butterflies. No details on which ones yet
But I'd love to add another wrasse or trigger to the mix, but probably will save the room for more angels/BFs...

aquaknight

Not much has got done, between Thanksgiving, shopping, and setting up Christmas lights.

The main corner supports are on and attached. Just the center legs to go. Should be working on the tank braces tomorrow...

aquaknight

Slowly but surely... Got the glass braces to fit, I ordered 23" flat, I got 23 1/16". It's been so long since I've bought the glass, I doubt I would win an argument about the wrong size, so I went at the glass with an angle grinder to knock it down, then a polishing stone to smooth it out. Fits now
The stand is all but finished. Just need the trim cut and tacked on, then Klitz the inside and stain the outside.
Unsure about the canopy, I really would like to get the tank running/cycling, and then work on the canopy as we go. Cause most of the rock will be the dead rock we have sitting in storage, and some from the other tanks, and dead sand. I don't want to go the silica sand route I did with my 125gal. I did find pulverized limestone at HD the other day, but they only had one bag, and the only associated I could flag down knew nothing about it.

G

gtdarock

Looks good so far,Aqua. Looking forward to more updates. Good luck

aquaknight

Thanks guys!
Should have bumped this a bit ago. The stand has the trim added and is almost finished stained. Probably another coat to go, then we'll make the doors.
Pic from today;

aquaknight

Thanks!
Originally Posted by Ryancw01
http:///forum/post/3232771
Nice! Stand looks awesome. Are you going to put some coats of Kilz in the ******** of the stand?
Yep, the Kilz is the gallon can on the right of the stand. Will do the inside of the stand, and the top where the tank sits, because of the trim that fits around the tank, will trap in water.
One thing I don't think I pointed out yet, we siliconed the bottom inside of the stand. If you look in the last pic you can see the white silicone. Since the tank will be going onto carpet, we hope this will reduce the stand staining the carpet, since 90% of spills are in the sumps, the stand will just hold in the water and with the Kilz, the wood won't soak any in.