al gore strikes again!

lovethesea

the info that my local govn't is telling us is that the new lights have to be "properly" disposed of. They tell us we have to get these....which I have switched out all be a few.....and then we don't get any proper way to dispose of them. So yes, I guess in a few years if I don't have proper way to dispose I will "toss" them.

reefraff

Originally Posted by renogaw
reefraff, to say that mercury levels won't rise is crazy. how many people do you really think will return them instead of just throwing them in the trash?
PC lamp lights use a lot less power and last a long time. Even assuming they end up in landfills and every lamp were to break it wont add as much mercury to the air as powerplants do. By using less power the lamps will lead to reduced emissions from powerplants. Most land fills now have taken steps to protect ground water so even if the lamps break as they are being buried what is it going to hurt? The main problem is caused by uses where the Mercury is emitted into the air through combustion. Power Plants and smelters seem to be the main emitters but you would be amazed at some of the stuff with Mercury in it..
Oh, and by the way, the bill didn't ban incandescent lamps, it only set new standards for lumens per watt. California has a ban in place set to begin in 2016 I believe.

renogaw

Originally Posted by lovethesea
the info that my local govn't is telling us is that the new lights have to be "properly" disposed of. They tell us we have to get these....which I have switched out all be a few.....and then we don't get any proper way to dispose of them. So yes, I guess in a few years if I don't have proper way to dispose I will "toss" them.

your town should have a way that you can dispose of oil/antifreeze/mercury thermostats. i believe most towns do. they should take the bulbs as well, mine does.

renogaw

Originally Posted by reefraff
PC lamp lights use a lot less power and last a long time. Even assuming they end up in landfills and every lamp were to break it wont add as much mercury to the air as powerplants do. By using less power the lamps will lead to reduced emissions from powerplants. Most land fills now have taken steps to protect ground water so even if the lamps break as they are being buried what is it going to hurt? The main problem is caused by uses where the Mercury is emitted into the air through combustion. Power Plants and smelters seem to be the main emitters but you would be amazed at some of the stuff with Mercury in it..
Oh, and by the way, the bill didn't ban incandescent lamps, it only set new standards for lumens per watt. California has a ban in place set to begin in 2016 I believe.
if you're making that claim on the powerplants, you must know because i sure dont.
i do know though that connecticut is having a major problem with mercury in our water because of improper disposal of items that contain mercury. it is to the point that our atny general banned all those kiddy toys coming in cereal boxes if their batteries contained mercury, they banned mercury powered thermostats, and all towns have to have hazardous material drop of days every once in a while if they don't have a waste depot people can drop these items off to.
people aren't going to realize (or care?) that these bulbs have mercury and they have to dispose of them properly

salty blues

Darthtang AW said:
I lean right yet I don't understand how al gore relates to this.[/QUOTE
Are you kidding? Al Gore is the poster child for tree huggers & global warming alarmists. He recently won a Nobel prize for his "Inconvenient Truth" movie, which tells us all how we are destroying the Earth. Meanwhile he sprints around in his private jets & lives as he pleases while telling the rest of us how we should act.
The light bulb ban relates to Gore because of their inefficiency & contribution to "global warming". Excuse me. I believe the correct term now is "climate change".

reefraff

Originally Posted by renogaw
if you're making that claim on the powerplants, you must know because i sure dont.
i do know though that connecticut is having a major problem with mercury in our water because of improper disposal of items that contain mercury. it is to the point that our atny general banned all those kiddy toys coming in cereal boxes if their batteries contained mercury, they banned mercury powered thermostats, and all towns have to have hazardous material drop of days every once in a while if they don't have a waste depot people can drop these items off to.
people aren't going to realize (or care?) that these bulbs have mercury and they have to dispose of them properly
Some of the Mercury sources are Medical waste incinerators, Manufacturing processes (Cement and Chlorine plants)Mining And power plants, coal fired being the single largest source. About 40% of the Mercury in the environment is naturally occuring.
A lot of the sources of the Mercury have already been eliminated. Most batteries used to have it, now only one specific type does. There are regulations on incinerators and they can now make Chlorine without it.
Problem is that once the nasty stuff gets in the water it takes a very long time to work its way out of the food chain.
As far as the light bulb go PC lamps don't have a whole lot of Mercury in them compared to standard fluorescents and T5's have even less. I just looked and one company has a PC lamp that has the light output of a 75~100 watt bulb and they have 2.5 mg of Mercury in them. As the lamp ages a lot of the Mercury gets absorbed in the phosphores and electrodes in the lamp so an old bulb that gets broken isn't going to put a lot of it into the air.
Here's what the fluorescent lamps have in them now. Notice the 1988 reduction.
Lamp Amount (mg.)
Pre 1988 T-12 ~45
Post 1988 T-12 ~11.6
Typical T8 ~4 to 5
Low Mercury T8 ~3
CFL ~4 to 5
So it isn't like these things are spewing large amounts of Mercury into the air. PC's still suck for reef use but they are great for your house lamps

wbilton

Originally Posted by salty blues
I saw on the news today where the new energy bill passed by congress & the prez will make incandescent lamps illegal in 4 years. If so, that $3.00 strand of Christmas lights at wild mart will cost $30.00+ for LED or other new technology. More enviro-wacko knee jerk paranoia.
It was passed by congress and the president. last I checked Gore was a member of congress or the president, Why don't we blame Gore that debacle in Iraq

reefraff

Originally Posted by WBilton
It was passed by congress and the president. last I checked Gore was a member of congress or the president, Why don't we blame Gore that debacle in Iraq
If Gore would have have encouraged Clinton to take Bin Laden back in the 90's when he was offered......

salty blues

Originally Posted by WBilton

History 101--Gore was in Congress(Senate). He then was vice-president under Slick Willie Clinton. This was several years ago. The energy bill under discussion was passed by the present Congress & President.

autofreak44

heres an idea, why dont they just give a tax break for not using incandescants... thats enough to motivate people isnt it?

salty blues

Originally Posted by autofreak44
heres an idea, why dont they just give a tax break for not using incandescants... thats enough to motivate people isnt it?
I support tax breaks for any reason!