Alege

lenr87g

I have a 55 gallon tank that has been in use for abut 6 week 6 hermit crabs, an extremely agressive coral braded shrimp and the 4 damsels b/c I was told they where the best to cycle with they 2 seem agressive, And 20 pounds of rock. I have this very unsightly brick red alege to bold red/ dark red depending on density of the alege in my tank, at frist I had brown alege but it dissaperd overnight. Then came the red stuff. Does anyone have sugestions on how to get rid of this stuff such as creatures that may eat it ot liquids I can put in it. Also I don't know if it good or bad?

pbienkiewi

Originally Posted by lenr87g
I have a 55 gallon tank that has been in use for abut 6 week 6 hermit crabs, an extremely agressive coral braded shrimp and the 4 damsels b/c I was told they where the best to cycle with they 2 seem agressive, And 20 pounds of rock. I have this very unsightly brick red alege to bold red/ dark red depending on density of the alege in my tank, at frist I had brown alege but it dissaperd overnight. Then came the red stuff. Does anyone have sugestions on how to get rid of this stuff such as creatures that may eat it ot liquids I can put in it. Also I don't know if it good or bad?

You need a little more than 1lb of live rock per gallon. You need to stock up on crabs and snails. Some dissagree with using damsels to cycle a tank compared to a piece of cocktail shrimp.
As for the thick brick algae it is Red slime. What do you have for power heads ? Which way are they facing. You probably have dead spots in your tank that are not getting enough water flow. what about a sump ?

lenr87g

thanks for your reply, I'm not shure what power heads are however the only device I have for cleaning and circulation is a empior 400 I was told it is all I needed until I get reefs.

lenr87g

For a 55 gallon tank how many gph do u think my powerhead should pump?Also when I get a protein skimmer that will move watter with a protien skimmer do u think I still need a power head? It seems my tank wouldnt need much since it is small compared to some massive tanks I've seen.