ALERT: Stupid coral noob!

<3scopas55

Ok this is kind of a goofy question but,
When you have corals (SPS and LPS), do you turn the lights completely off at night or do some form of aticnics need to stay on???

I probably sound really stupid, but just humor me.
Thanks a bunch

ninjamini

Originally Posted by rick2203
you turn them off, there no 24hr sun in the ocean.

Only in the Arctic circle and there are not reefs there. No turn off the lights. Wait you want to watch whats goin on at night. Get some moon lights.

<3scopas55

K thanks guys, thats what i thought, but ive heard other people ask the same question and just wanted to make sure i wasnt going to kill anything

farslayer

Your actinics should come on about an hour or so before your main lights, then should go off about an hour or so after your main lights. Your moonlights stay on 24/7. They are low powered LEDs that are readily drowned out by your daylights.

<3scopas55

Thanks Farslayer, that makes sense and is good seeing as the lights im ordering has 3 switches (1 for daylight toobs, 1 for aticnics, and 1 for built in moonlights).

R

rick2203

like farslayer said, have the actinics come on 1hr before the mh and 1hr after, my moon stay on 24/7 no need to waste a timer on them, just put everything on times, i have my actinics on for 10hrs a day, and my mh for 8