Algae and cyno

737mech

I have had a problem with cyno in my 38 off and on for awhile. It seems to be mostly on the sand in the back side of the tank.
I had LFS test for po4 and test came back 0. I added 2 ph to the tank (now there are 3). I've aimed them at the worst area. That seemed to actually make things worse :(
I tried chemi-clean. I did 1 treatment and followed the instructions. It was looking better so I didn't do another. Well like people have said here before, it just came back. Now I think it looks worse than before.
I just put a po4 sponge into aborb any possible po4.
I have 2 new pc 50/50 65w bulbs in my retro lighting under my canopy.
I've got one more idea and wondered if it could be the culprit? The tank was used and had an acrylic top that I've left half open (mostly for heat reasons). The worst cyno is in the back half of the tank. The same area that is covered by the acrylic cover. Also I have green hair algae on the back side of the LR only.
Question: Could the cover be changing the light spectrum in favor of the algea and cyno? I'd like to keep something over the tank for evaporation reasons. Should I switch it out to a glass cover?
Sorry so long, but this is really getting on my nerves!
Thank you kindly

lionstorm

if it isn't a current problem in the tank then I just don't know. How are your nitrates? are you absolutely sure your ph are reaching that spot without actually stirring up the sand?

michaeltx

could be the acrylic . you probably have phosphates in the tank that arent showing up because its getting used by the cyno and hair algae. did this start before or after the light change that might have actually triggered it. and when you used the chei clean did the cyno completely go away or fade and then back>
Mike

737mech

Thanks for the replies
My nitrates are 10 and I really think that the ph are circulating the water around the tank. I have my LR 52lbs. basically in the middle of the tank with room all the way around it.
When I used the chemi-clean the cyno just faded, never really went away completely. Now there are areas that are getting kinda long. You can see it moving around with the current. This is why I think that the ph's are ok.
The light change was back in May when the tank went from FO to what is slowly looking more like a reef tank.
There was a cyno problem back before that when I first got this already set up tank. It had a UGF and I removed it hoping that things would get better. Honestly It had been cyno free for nearly 3 months after the change over to live rock and live sand and (argonite reef sand the original substrate).
I'm willing to try anything at this point. Would a glass top be better?

michaeltx

you might try sucking or netting as much out as possible and then treat with the chemi clean. i had good luck with it. the only thing is I waiteda few days before I did the water change not I think 24 hours. and it cleared up then all the extra stuf that I added more current etc.. helped in keeping it at bay. so that might be something to look at trying.
Mike

737mech

Thanks...the lights are out for the night, so I'll try to net as much as possible tomorrow and treat again. I forgot to tell you that when it faded it looked light orange and then brownish, but never really went away.
Would you wait on the po4 sponge for a day or 2 b4 treating with chemi? I'll need to remove the sponge before treating.

birdy

I fought this stuff for a long long time, I finally used chemi clean ( I do not normally use chemicals for anything in my tank). I definitely sucked up as much of the stuff as I could, reduced light period and increased current, and made sure nutrients were not the problem, I think I had to use chemi clean 3 times before I got rid of it (I did not have any corals in my tank at the time I think I would have a hard time putting in my tank now that I have corals)
good luck, get as much of it out of your tank as you can everyday, because it is using up the stuff it feeds off of and if you remove the algae it will remove the nutrients (as long as you are not adding to the nutrient problem).

737mech

Thanks again for all the replys. I'm definately gonna get as much of it out as possible and I looked at my cpr bakpak. It looked like it could be cleaned too. Also I have a hang on filter that has some growing on the inlet and the outlet.
I can cut down my lighting like Birdy suggested too. I think with all of this good advice I'll get it knocked out. I do want it gone for the long run.
Cyno Terminator

tlk

I had a terrible Cyano problem a few months ago. JustinX wrote a very good article on the subject. I reduced my photoperiot from 12 hours to 6 hours for one week. Then gradually added more time to the lights (am now up to around 10 hours). I also reduced feedings from every other day to every third day. I am not sure which solution took care of the problem, but I haven't had a cyano outbreak since. All withOUT adding any chemicals to the tank.

timo

A few months ago cyano broke out in my tank, on the substrate in a high flow area. ChemiClean cleared it up in a few days, but it took about a week before I could turn the skimmer back on. Boyd Co. recommends one to wait a month before re-use. Follow the directions about the water change, and don't forget to agitate the problem area with light blasts from a turkey baster.
All other potential problem creaters aside (tap water, overfeeding, etc), this product should work.
HTH
TimO:p

737mech

Thanks TimO it does help.
I netted as much of the cyno that I could from the sand. I then cleaned the bakpak and hang on filter body. I also cleaned the acrylic top. The skimmer looks like it's doing a better job so I'm gonna let it run until I come home tomorrow from work. Then I may start the chemi treatment. By then the "dust" will have settled down.
Man I smell like the ocean.....