algae blenny question

blazehok68

anyone ever have any issues with an algae blennie not eating hair algae? i see him nipping at algae on the glass, but not even touching the hair.

gmann1139

I'm no expert on LMB's (mine's still in QT) but from what I've read, they only like the nubs of 'new' hair algae, not the grown out stuff.
So if you rip out what's there, it might keep the rest clean for you, but no guarantees.
I know mine completely housed any short, brown hair algae in my QT. I've had to move rock from my DT over so he had food, outside the nori sheets and whatever he hasn't kissed off the glass. The little guy has quite an appetite.

sean48183

They do not eat hair algae. They like the tannish fine algae that you see on actual reefs. Mine died within 2 months. Just wouldn't take to any foods. Should be banned IMO. Too many starve as well as people wasting money thinking there hair algae will be demolished.

stanlalee

they eat micro and fine algae. they usually dont touch patches of hair algae. I've kept them for years with no problems. sometimes it takes a while but sooner or later they start eating algae sheets and everything meaty you throw in the tank for other fish (which probably isn't good for their digestive track).

nitschke65

My lawnmower doesn't eat hair algae, but he does eat everything else... flake, live brine, frozen mysis... is your fish fine; and you were just hoping he'd help with your hair algae?

blazehok68

nitschke65;2963574 said:
My lawnmower doesn't eat hair algae, but he does eat everything else... flake, live brine, frozen mysis... is your fish fine; and you were just hoping he'd help with your hair algae?[/QUOTEthe
the fish is fine. hes cleaning the algae off the glass and eating the pellets i put in. just not the hair.
well that stinks. spent 25 bucks for nothing.
i thought i had read that they eat the hair.