Algae breakout from lights?

maroon2

The week before xmas I replaced the actinics in my tank. I have a coralife 48" 260w pc w/ lunar lights. I replaced the actinics w/ Uvls. I started to notice a brown/red, slimy, stringy algae build up on my sand. Naturally I tested my water for nitrates, phosphates, nitrites, ammonia, so on and so forth. All tested out @ 0. Could it be from the new lights? Also 4 days ago I received my big xmas present 500w HQIs. I'm starting slow only a couple of hrs a day of the lights on. Now I'm getting some on my rocks too. I did my weekly water change and syphoned out the majority of it on the sand, but I know it will most likely come back. Any ideas?

geoj

How old is the tank setup?
You should expect some algae blooms with a new setup no mater what your water waste test levels are. They should go away on their own if you are not adding to there life cycle. A micro nutrient waste issue takes time to work its self out. This aging of the tank can take months.
The lights can bump up some algae growth. It is not a real fix to reduce light levels you need to take advantage of the high light not waste money on a powerful light source by running it half as much. You can cut light for some time to choke the algae out but it would most likely come back if you had a real waste problem. If it was just a micro nutrient waste issue you would most likely be fooling your self when it went away because the algae would have went away on its own.

sean48183

Yeah its cyano. It is half algae half bacteria. 9 times out of 10 when you replace your lights you get this. I use eurythromyacin to get rid of it. Can get it any pet store. Turn off your skimmer, take out any carbon, and use half the recommended dose and after 48 hours do a water change, turn skimmer back on(watch it carefully and dial it in to where you want it because it will be going nuts overflowing on your normal setting) and add carbon. Presto stuff is gone not to return. Have done it about 5 times in 6 years and works everytime. I have lost a peppermint shrimp and mushrooms don't seem to like this much but IMO it is worth it because cyano can wipe out a tank. Also I don't keep any sps so I don't know how this will affect them.

geoj

This sounds aged to me, silicates is the only reading you have not mentioned. If you had little slime algae for most of this time I would think there is not any issue and this will go away. If you have had a constant battle with a slime algae then you would need to find out how small amounts of nitrate, phosphate and or silicate is keeping this stuff going.

maroon2

Originally Posted by GeoJ
http:///forum/post/3205500
This sounds aged to me, silicates is the only reading you have not mentioned. If you had little slime algae for most of this time I would think there is not any issue and this will go away. If you have had a constant battle with a slime algae then you would need to find out how small amounts of nitrate, phosphate and or silicate is keeping this stuff going.
My tank has been clear for the last 8-9 months. The algae outbreak is only about a week old.

geoj

I would let it go a week or two more keep doing the cleaning you have been keep any corals from being over grown and it should run its self out.

maroon2

Originally Posted by GeoJ
http:///forum/post/3205531
I would let it go a week or two more keep doing the cleaning you have been keep any corals from being over grown and it should run its self out.
What about using Ultralife red slime remover

sean48183

never tried that but my guess is it is some type of antibiotic. Check the ingredients but that is probably what it is.

maroon2

Originally Posted by sean48183
http:///forum/post/3205575
never tried that but my guess is it is some type of antibiotic. Check the ingredients but that is probably what it is.
Yup its an antibiotic. But I remember using some tap water
for a top off and I'm sure thats where the problem lies. I'll never do that again. My water quality is perfect though.
Nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, and phosphates are all 0 and Ph 8.3. I've tested w/ test strips and took water to 2 lfs and all read the same. So what gives? Also the red slime smells like lobster?? I took one of my power heads and blew the stuff off the rocks and the sand. I scooped up as much as I could w/ filter media and a net. I also used the ultralife stuff last night but only half a dose and it seemed to not do much so my lfs said to do a full dose.

sean48183

The reason your getting 0 readings is the cyano is chewing the stuff up. Its really good at that. So is hair algae which is why i grow massive amounts in my sump so I can feed the hell out of my fish with no problems.
Yeah I would go full dose with that stuff because it is meant to target cyano and not treat infections on fish like the stuff I use. Remember when you turn your skimmer back on to watch it closely because it will go haywire.
Also if you use tap water add amquel plus and novaqua plus and you shouldn't have any problems. I have used tap water for years and never had a problem only when changing lights or getting lazy with water changes. Good luck and let me know how it works out.

sean48183

Can't tell totally from the pic. It looks like cyano because I see some bubbles attached to it which cyano usually has but sometimes diatoms can have that too. Whatever it is it looks like it is on its way in or on its way out. Is this after you dosed it with the slime remover?

maroon2

http:///forum/post/3208179
Can't tell totally from the pic. It looks like cyano because I see some bubbles attached to it which cyano usually has but sometimes diatoms can have that too. Whatever it is it looks like it is on its way in or on its way out. Is this after you dosed it with the slime remover?
Yes but thats after I blew the majority of it off w/ my powerhead. I did the same thing last night and it just seems to be coming back. My water parameters are perfect and have been very consistent for many many months before this breakout. Its driving me nuts. Now my frogspawn and hammer coral don't seem to be opening very much either.

sean48183

If you added the antibiotic and it is coming back then it must be diatoms which usually will go away on its own after awhile but it can take some time. If it was cyano it would not have lasted the antibiotic. I have done it quite a few times over six years and it never survives the blast. Give it some time and it will pass. I would advise trying to grow some algae somewhere else besides your display tank though.

maroon2

http:///forum/post/3208876
If you added the antibiotic and it is coming back then it must be diatoms which usually will go away on its own after awhile but it can take some time. If it was cyano it would not have lasted the antibiotic. I have done it quite a few times over six years and it never survives the blast. Give it some time and it will pass. I would advise trying to grow some algae somewhere else besides your display tank though.
I have a 30 gal fuge full of algae, live rock, sand, and chaeto. Its been up for about a year. If its diatoms what would cause them to come out of nowhere? I moved my tank last week of Nov., to my new home, but I used 75% of the old water and replaced the other 25% W r/o. Its driving me nuts. It seems to be getting worse.

maroon2

Well the Ultralife did nothing. I'll be trying the chemi clean. I've been told that if one doesn't work that the other one should.

geoj

You should test for silicates if you get a zero reading then do nothing it will go away all by its self… If you get a silicate reading then find out where it is coming from. The moving the tank is what likely started the algae bloom. My 25 gal had this alga from one side of the tank to the other for 3-4 weeks before it used all the waste minerals up and died off.