Algae cleanup in established but neglected tank?

dugan

Hi there... I haven't been around in ages... seems like every time I have a new kiddo my poor tank suffers and this is no exception. Baby born in December, tank looking like crap by March.
So... what I have is a 35 gallon FOWLR, 55# of LR, one very small (1.5") maroon clown. One skimmer that was not doing its job until I overhauled it today. Lots of icky green algae.
I have cleaned off the glass for the most part but would love to get some kind of a critter to do more cleanup on the parts of the glass I can't get to, and on the LR. What do you think? Emerald crab(s) or an algae blenny (provided it will also take flake/frozen)?
I have plenty of room in the tank for a few new fish, I'm just wondering if the maroon will harass the blenny. I find them far more interesting to look at than the often invisible emerald crabs.
Oh, and I've also got some bright green algae down in the sand bed that I'm not liking a whole lot. I probably need some sand stirrers...???
Thoughts?
TIA!
Katie

lefty

Nassarius snails are said to be voracious algae eaters. If you want to keep your sand stirred, you could consider adding a sand sifting goby of sorts. A lot of people don't like them though because they move the sand around a lot and can make a bit of a mess. :)
I have a bit of an algae problem myself at the moment. I take care of it by scooping it off the top of the sand with a net. Not the best way to take care of it I'm sure, but it'll have to do until I get it under control. :D
-lefty