Algae Control Suggestions

beginner01

I have had a 55 gal set up for about 9 months with HOB filters, 2 Maxi-Jet 1200 PH and no protein skimmer yet. The very next thing I buy will be a skimmer. I know this could be contributing to my algae problem but can not be the major source for it. I am so fed up with this brown algae I am almost ready to take the tank down. I have a small cleaner crew and (1) Clownfish with about 60 lbs LR and LS. The brown algae covered the tank then turned into Green Hair Algae. Imagine That! Well, I took out the few rocks that were covered the most and scraped them in freshwater and stirred up the sand (was not aware I should not have done this). I also re-arranged the rock onto the glass with the intentions of getting a Blenny and Goby soon. I also did a series of water changes. The tank was clear for about a week and now the stupid brown algae is all over again. My questions is where do I need to start. I turn my lights on before I leave for work in the mornign and than off before I go to bed. I just have the basic lights that came with the tank. It is a FOWLR. I have never tested for phosphates. I feed frozen food only and was feeding (1) small fish twice a day. I now only feed him once a day and feel this is not enough. He acts as if he is starving when I finally do feed him. My parameters are all normal. I will not go through listing them all just yet. I do have dead spots because it seems that no matter how I position my PH there are still dead spots. I use RO water from Wal-Mart because I do not have a unit and LFS does not sell. This has to be better than regular tap. I do bi-weekly water changes of 11 gal. Should I begin with a lrager cleaner crew and if so what exactly. I do not want hermits because they keep dying in my tank. I do have snails. Ok I hope I have not left anything out. HELP!!!

michael_t

I was in a similar situation as you. 65 gal FWOLR. Wet/dry filter. No protein skimmer. Algae growth everywhere. Even get my water from WalMart. Still do. My lights were on only 8 hours a day. (Get a timer.) My nitrates were in the 40’s to 80’s.Frequent water changes did nothing to effect the nitrate level.

First thing I did was get a HOB protein skimmer. Way better then the wet dry I had. I was told the bio balls were effectively breaking down the waste into nitrates but that is why I had so much algae grow. And I had enough LR that I didn’t need the balls.
With the protein skimmer the water changes became effective. My nitrates are in the teens now. But even then the water would look fantastic for several days after the water change but then would have that yellow look to it.
Next, I bought the cleanup crew package 30-90 gal from SWF.com and a lawn mower bennie. Water looks fantastic all the time now. I have to remind myself to do water changes. Once every other week I clean the glass from algae build up but other than that I am now worried that my lawn mower bennie doesn’t have enough algae to eat. My lights are now on TWO hours longer than before.

I hope that helps.

beginner01

Thanks for the quick response. I figured that the skimmer was the biggest issue. Besdies that I think I need to stock the tank with more cleaners and cetain fishys. I love Blennys and Gobys. They are my very favorite fish. My next tank mate will be a Lawnmower Blenny. I do water canges regularly and my water is never cloudy or yellow just VERY stinky. I assume this is from the algae. Hey how many times a day do you feed your fish and what all do you have.

michael_t

I've got a Yellow Tang (Maggie), Clown (Crusty), and a Lawn Mower Bennie (Plucky).
The Bennie is my favorite. It’s a riot to watch him scoot around the tank.
I feed them a half a cube of Myso Shrimp a day, skipping a feeding once a week. The tang gets a strip of algae once a day that him and Plucky chase around the tank.
Cleaning Crew:
Scarlet Hermit Crab : 20
Blueleg Hermit Crab :20
Nasssarius Snail :10
Emerald Crab : 5
Coral Banded Shrimp :1
Sally Lightfoot Crab : 1 (MIA)
Turbo/Astrea Snail :20

renogaw

definitely break down and get a phosphate tester when you can. its such a sourse of frustration having blue water in that test kit, but at least it might help figure out your algae problem. also, check your frozen food. there are many foods that have phosphate rich liquids in those cubes. i don't take the chance anymore and prerinse the food (and thaw it in the process) before putting the frozen foods into my tank. (melt the cube in some warm water, then strain it with your fish net, put the food in the tank, and the liquid in the sink).

jsab

I can't tell you how helpful a skimmer is. Didn't believe it till I got one. It pulls out the nastiest brown scum you ever saw. I think it is a very worthwhile investment. I too have a 55 but not drilled. Mine is a hang on model...Loud at first until I got it through its break in period and now I love it. Also buy a timer for the lights. It is really nice especially if you are out of town or can't get to them and they are on too long. I placed my skimmer on a timer too. It only runs at night...that way the supplements for the corals are available to be utilized while the lights are on and it removes the junk at night when the corals are closed.
Hope this helps.