Algae free tank

mark

How can I keep an algae free tank like the ones seen in hotels and restaurants? Also, what is the best method for cleaning coral? I have bleached in the past but am looking for an alternate method. Thanks !!

krazzydart

What kind of corals are you bleaching??????????????????????????????????????????????? Lots of maintance and a good filter system is the key.....

chuck

They pay people to clean it which makes it real easy on the business. Looks can be deceiving, behind any good looking tank comes a good amount of maintainance and biological filtration. There is no easy way out, I've been doing this for 5 years; patience and a love for the hobby is the key. If you have the moola pay someone, if not prepare to get your hands wet. Good luck!

clayton

Don't buy dead coral as decoration, the trade of it has been devastating to reefs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

patrick

Originally posted by clayton:
Don't buy dead coral as decoration, the trade of it has been devastating to reefs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL Whatever!
[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-05-2000).]

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Don't bleech anything...take from me, I've had very devasting experiences with using bleech. Constantly cleaning algae out of tank is the only way to keep everything looking like the first day you set up...however, I'm not sure that is the best way to maintain a tank. Some algae is healthy for the tank, and even makes things look better. I used to like everything sterile clean, but as I progressed in the hobby, I realized how unnatural that kind of tank is [not to mention the chore it is to keep it looking that way].

clayton

Originally posted by Patrick:

LOL Whatever!

I'm not sure what you mean Patrick. Don't you agree??

reptilicus

I have an ozone generator which helps greatly in reducing the amount of algae, and UV sterilisers also work very well. They will not completely eradicate all algae from your tank, but if you run a UV you only have to clean the front glass about once every 2 weeks, even with a large amount of light.

fishgirl

Originally posted by clayton:

Originally posted by Patrick:

LOL Whatever!

I'm not sure what you mean Patrick. Don't you agree??
Don't say "whatever" to Clayton! He knows what he's talking about since he IS a marine biologist, and at least someone cares about tha fish in the ocean. But I won't go so far to say that I don't decorate with dead coral myself! OOPS! I shouldn't talk!
LOL @ myself!

thebatcave

You say that taking the coral skeletons is devastating to reefs, but what about all of the live corals and fish that are taken out for the hobby. I'm not saying either person is right in this argument, but you have to look at it both ways.

M

mitch24

Have you ever heard Dennis Leary's, "No Cure for Cancer" When he talks about people in an uproar about tuna fishers catching dolphins in the net??? And says, "What about the Tuna Fish?" :) I guess you had to be there, but it was hilarious!!!

fishgirl

In saying "what about the tuna fish" the whole point is missed. Since the dolphins were being caught and WASTED, not actually put to use in people's stomachs (as we're a part of nature ourselves)the catchers were in the wrong. A dolphin died not to help another survive, but just for no point at all. I know, I know, I can't take a joke! It was actually kinda funny. But dolphins have bigger brains than I do, so I generally give them a little respect!

angel eyes

Clayton, can you suggest a website where artifical coral,grasses, and decorations can be purchased. where did you get your education? I just moved into a new town and have been unsuccessful at locating a descent saltwater shop.

Originally posted by Fishgirl:
Woa, we got really off the subject, per usual at this BB

clayton

Originally posted by angel eyes:
Clayton, can you suggest a website where artifical coral,grasses, and decorations can be purchased. where did you get your education? I just moved into a new town and have been unsuccessful at locating a descent saltwater shop.

Sorry, I don't know a web site for those things but I am sure their is one! You can use tufa rock for aquariums and once things have started to grow over it you can't tell the difference. Live grasses/algae would be great for your tank - Seahorses right??
Err - I did my degree in Liverpool, England and worked in Australia for the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority, and in the Phillipines for Coral Cay Conservation - I learnt most in those places. I also did some studying/work at the London Aquarium for a little while.
These notice boards are fantastic for learning about aquariums - you can't beat fist-hand experience, I learn something new everytime I log on!
Back to the original subject - sorry Mark, I didn't mean to sound rude. If it's a fish only tank then Kent apparently make a very dood algacide. I hope this helps.