algae is ugly.

carorella88

Hey yall.
Ok, I know this is a common question, but does anyone know how to get rid of green algae?? I cant tell excactly what kind it is, it's not too bad but it's really ugly fuzzy green algae and it's stubbourn as hell!! Anyways my water quality is good according to my test kits, everythings zero, only problem is my ph drops a little every once and awhile. I only have one fish so far in a 46 gallon,, anyways I think i might be overfeeding, but i have been making sure there are noscraps for a wek or two now, and i have at least 20 crabs and a snail in there for cleanup, any ideas anyone??

jarvis

It sounds like a pretty new tank. If so it will slow down. It will be almost non existant if you keep your nitrate and phospate close to zero. I actually wish I had a little more growing in my tank to feed the clean up crew. If it doesnt work for ya. I second the recomendation for more snails.

E

elan

Originally posted by jarvis
I actually wish I had a little more growing in my tank to feed the clean up crew

that is the truth!!.. it seems like i was batteling algae growth for about two or three months after my tank cycled... and since then, love to get a piece of coral with alot of algae growth, and see my cleanup crew pick it clean within days.

T

thomas712

Cororella - is this hair algea that your tallking about? where is it on the glass, rocks, substrate?
What test kit are you using?
How old is the tank?
What type of lights do you have?
What type of water do you use?
I thinking you may have phosphates in the tank, anyway to test for them.
Thomas

crazy8

For all of you who don't have an algae problem, what happens to that poor starving cleanup crew? Do they die off, or do you overfeed your fish so they have something to eat? I have heard of buying sheets of algae as well, but that seems like it could get pretty expensive for just a cleanup crew.
I am getting ready to purchase a cleanup crew for a 55 gal tank that is almost done cycling. Lots of that nasty brown algae you hear so much about. I have a DSB of 4-5" and now about 90 lbs of LR. What do you recommend for a cleanup crew like that so that it will have plenty of food. I would prefer to have a little algae problem than not allowing my cleanupcrew to eat. I was thinking of just starting with 10 snails (the ones that stay burried a lot) 10 scarlet legs and a cleaner shrimp. Too much? Too little? Tank will be a FOWRL with no more than 5 fish.
Oh....I will not be added a fuge if I can help it. Tight quarters since I built this into a room divider.

E

elan

thats a good question.. when i get my fuge setup (which should be in the next few weeks) i will rotate a few rocks back and forth to keep some algae growth in the tank.. otherwise, i think some will just starve.
that is another reason to take it slow... put in a small cleaning crew and see how they do for a month... if you still have some algae problem, put in a few more... you will find a good balance.

beaslbob

After about a month and a half, I had a very nice fuzzy green carpet over all my rocks (55g). Adding 10 turbo snales almost totally cleaned up the rocks in about two weeks.
Athough ugly, the algae is doing it's job. Without the algae your nitrate would start to climb. Additionally, it is absorbing carbon dioxide and generally filtering out undesirable stuff like the phosphates metioned before. Algae is an extremely important part of a stable balanced tank.
I recommend you try some macro algae or marine plants to continue the beneficial algae effects. I culture mine in a seperate tank and add it to the display tank as my tang eats it. Over time my nitrate is dropping and more and more marco is remaining. Additionally, now (after 6 months) the corraline is starting to spread. So now I have green plant like algae, purple/red coraline, and no fuzzy green type algae. For more information try this link: ***Deleted***

T

thomas712

Feeding a cleanup crew, at least one idea:
Get a scrap piece of acrylic about 3 inches long or so and 1 inch wide. You can rubberband two small rocks on each side of it to weight it down. Rubberband a small strip of nori to it, believe me the hermits will race to it once they realize its there. Also you can rubberband the toole or wedding veil to this acrylic peice and put some flake food under it the cleaner shrimp and pepermint shrimp will love trying to get it out of there you can even cut small slits in the veil so they can get at it faster. keeps them busy while I spot feed other corals and they don't rob my anemonies while they dine.
Thomas

carorella88

Thanks everybody!! I hadn't thought about the beneficial parts of algae, also i will get afew more snails and a phosphate testing kit, because i only have a basic nitrite/trate ammon. ph testing kit. I am not exunctly sure what kind of light i have,,, it came with the fixture!! I am about due for a new one anyway so what kind does everyone reccomend for w fowl w/ macro algae?? (hopefully.....) Anyway,, I use tap water, because i can't afford a ro-di filter, but i am getting at least a ro, or di filter soon, then i will add the missing part whichever that may be when i have money! Anyway thanks again!!
note:: To answer your ?'s,, 1st see above, but also; the algae is mostly on the rocks, it's green now, but some of it is turning red. and there are small green dots on the glass, but not too bad at all, and here and there there is some brown ish algae on the substrate.

beaslbob

carorella88: hey just noticed, I lived in albuquerque from 90-97.
Anyway, sounds like you algae problems are not all that bad and fairly normal. SWF had shaving brushes which are a form of macro algae. If you want more info you could do a google search on macroalgae (or macro algae). One excellent source of macro is to get with local hobbiest and find someone with a fuge who just throws the stuff away each month. Can't beat free LOL.
I use untreated tap water in albuquerque, as well as several other US cities keeping tanks fresh and salt since the late 70's. I think you will find that if you use untreated tap water and only replace the water that evaporates, you will have the best possible tank. (now watch the posts saying that isn't so LOL)
Good luck and if you need more infor email me at beaslbob@aol.com.

reefnut

Originally posted by beaslbob
(now watch the posts saying that isn't so LOL)

O-I'm sure it's true... I never have seen a full tank shot of your sw tank?

carorella88

Hey cool!! It's ok here, i don't like the heat so much tho'. meh. anyways thats how i've been doing it, just using tap h2o to top off, and do a 10% h2o change every once and awhile. I just can't seem to fing the root of the algae problem but i guess it really isn't so bad!!

reefnut

Very nice... Bob, In the future it would be great if you could show people this pic when you are giving advice so they can see the results of the "Keep it simple" method.

beaslbob

:eek: aww gosh gee whillikers, shuckie derns. you guys are too much :D now you go dig up my old curmmy picture with not enough light
Originally posted by Kipass4130
here is the pic... so you dont have to search
i think he used some rocks from his backyard thats why they look a little different than reef rock

No actually all were bought at a LFS. and as you noted not all were reef rocks.
i am wondering if the dark orange-red areas on your rock are coraline... could just be the minerals in the rock reacting to the saltwater... hmmm silicates... diatoms... i dunno
The orange in that one rock is actually the original color of that particular rock.
do you have any trouble with your inverts bob.... snails, crabs, corals, etc dying?
snales, crabs doing fine and molting. BCS has molted about 4 times in three months. Need to get the nitrAtes down some for the more delicate inverts.
to each his own... he has been very successful at salt tanks for 10 yrs i think
just shows the fruits of your labor if you work really hard at something
Well i keep a 10g salt for about 8 years and even had damsels breed in it. that started in the later 70' and I have been keeping fresh since thens. thanks for your kind comments but I do not work really hard at it. I just like to use plant life to balance things our and let the tank stablize and take care of itself. And that is actually less work. :p I consider my fresh planted tank absolutely awesome. The only thing i need electricty for is the light, and that could be replaced by using sunlight through a window. All I do is feed the fish, add a little water each week, and about once a month remove some green hair type algae. Tanks has stablized at 30 guppies of various sizes.
I am even considering making my own rocks/decorations. Sounds like fun but would be a lot of work.

reefnut

Originally posted by beaslbob
now you go dig up my old curmmy picture with not enough light

I would love to see an updated pic with those new lights.

beaslbob

Originally posted by Kipass4130
your tank will turn solid green if you use sunlight

Again thank you all for you kind thoughts and comments.
I will try to get a picture with the new lights but the pic above was a flash pic so I need to get more light on the tank for a better picture.
Finally I could not pass up making this comment to the above post.
Yes it will. the only question is whether the green will be algae, macro algae, or plants.
I immagine if you take a bottle of water and place it outside in direct sunlight you will wind up with green slimy water.
But if you take an aquarium so full of macro algae or plants that you can not see the other side because of those, then the algae/plants will prevent the growth of the green slimy type algae. Especially if the aquarium is in a house comfortable for people, near a window, where it only gets a few hours of direct sunlight.
In freshwater the idea is to get the plants established before the algae has a chance and before fish are added.
In salt the use of refug's with macro algae/plants and even live rock (algae) serve the same purpose.
This is not only my experience but is confirmed buy FAMA articles in the late 70's (where I got the idea to begin with), and by searching the web for low-maintenance aquariums or planted tanks. I have even had some feedback that this also agrees with people's experiences with outdoor ponds.

laudluvr

Beasl,
I like the concept of what you speak. I will use the info wisely.
I guess if you want an immaculate looking reef with nothing but color exposions and swaying corals, then the other folks recommendations would probably be a better route to take. Encompassing your MACRO ideas couldn't be wrong, could they?
To each their own!

S

sinner's girl

Crazy8- i feed clean up crew raw shrimp from wal-mart. the stars get some, the hermits get little pieces. The shrimp even ate the shrimp. If i don't have shrimp I feed the stars whatever I feed the fish, they take blood worms right from the bag.