algae issues

fulcrum

I have two tanks. I use the same RO water source for both. They are both FOWLR. One is aggressive, the other is friendly. Both have DSB and more lbs of LR than gallons of water.
Both tanks have very low nitrates (20 or less) and good Ph.
Recently I had a cyano problem in the friendly tank. I used Red Slime Remover. Now I have a green hair algae problem.
I dont have a decent phosphate test kit, so I cant answer that question right now. What I want to know is why one tank would have an outbreak and the other wouldnt?
If its a phosphate problem, why one tank and not the other?
How do I get the tank back on track? How do you lower phosphates without additives?

djevack

phosban reactors work, also a fuge with cheto. algae. Algae is growing becasue there is a food source for it to grow. They are but not limited to: Phosphate, ammonia, nitrates, old bulbs, low water movement.
So what do you do next??? check all your levels, then if they are high do water changes to bring them down. replace your bulbs if they are old. Up the water movement a little over the areas that are prone to getting algea.
Prevention... Dont over fed, Fish can eat everyother day, but you can feed that ever day just not alot, and only put small amounts in at a time so they eat all of the food. Also chaetomorpha algae in a small to medium refugium will do wonders. With enough light and the right water movementon the chaetomorpha algae will drop all your levels to 0

fulcrum

Beyonf phosphate (which I dont know) all other levels are good. Ph may be a touch low in that tank, I'm not sure if that assists the algae growth.
Waterflow doesn't seem to be a problem, as the hair seems to swaying/thrashing in the current.
First thing I did was replace was bulbs.
I failed to mention this tank has been up and running for over two years, and this is the first time this has happened.
Supposing its a phosphate problem...what could the source be? I use RO in both tanks, and the other tank is fine?
If I get the phosphate down will the algae go away on its own?

djevack

it should go down.
phosphate is everywhere, by using RO water you dont put any in your water and that helps, ALOT. But the food you feed your fish for exsample has phosphate in it. Alot of items that we put in our tanks contain phosphate. Thats why people put in phosphate removers of some type either reactor, bagged products or chaetomorpha algea.
btw, sorry, I didn;t know you been running your tank for 2 yrs. Or I wouldnt of mentioned some of the basics

nanahugs

I have two tanks like you. I had cayno bacteria in one and decided to use that red slime remover to get rid of it, and got lots of green hair algae in its place. I plan on cleaning everything in the affected tank and adding a poly filter which removes phosphates as well as other metals, etc. It changes color to indicate that it needs to be changed. Another person on these boards also used the red slime remover and while it worked on the red slime, it caused a green hair algea breakout in it's place. I do not plan on using the red slime remover again because this green hair algae seems harder to control.

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by nanahugs
I have two tanks like you. I had cayno bacteria in one and decided to use that red slime remover to get rid of it, and got lots of green hair algae in its place. I plan on cleaning everything in the affected tank and adding a poly filter which removes phosphates as well as other metals, etc. It changes color to indicate that it needs to be changed. Another person on these boards also used the red slime remover and while it worked on the red slime, it caused a green hair algea breakout in it's place. I do not plan on using the red slime remover again because this green hair algae seems harder to control.
Cyano is a cause of excess waste, old lighting, etc. You should cure those problems first instead of dosing with chemicals. Do you have a lot of amphipods within your tank? They can cause excess growth rate in hair algae, they raise their youngins in there.... I had hair algae, but I think my Naso is eating them all, it's all disappearing...such a shame...Was hoping to produce more baby pods...I have a mother load anyway... :happyfish

fulcrum

As I mentioned, lighting, waterflow, and all other parameters have been fixed. The only thing I can guess is overfeeding, but I'm very careful not to overfeed.
The guy at the LFS (insert boos and hisses here) mentioned that my deep sand bed may be a problem.
Anyone heard of that?
I dont plan to dose with any chemicals, but I will run a phosphate getter to help with the problem.

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by fulcrum
As I mentioned, lighting, waterflow, and all other parameters have been fixed. The only thing I can guess is overfeeding, but I'm very careful not to overfeed.
The guy at the LFS (insert boos and hisses here) mentioned that my deep sand bed may be a problem.
Anyone heard of that?
I dont plan to dose with any chemicals, but I will run a phosphate getter to help with the problem.
I don't have a problem with my DSB, it removes nitrates for me, turning into Nitrogen Gas. I have 0 Nitrate readings even though I feed my tank well. :happyfish

triggered

We were gone on vacation for two weeks and unable to clean or do water changes. We have it everywhere now. I have scrubbed the rocks, we have done several water changes, perameters are great and we have new lighting and plenty of flow. We don't feed too often. I CAN'T GET RID OF IT.
It came back two days after I CAREFULLY scrubbed just about every rock in the tank.
I HAVE HAD IT
WHAT IS IT GOING TO TAKE TO GET RID OF THIS STUFF??
We added 50 little hermits and all they do is eat the coraline agea

I need help too :help: :help: .......Peace