Algae mat filter

stdreb27

So I decided to try and build the algae mat that user santamonica started in his forum blitz.
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/330606/mega-powerful-nitrate-and-phosphate-remover-replaces-skimmer-refugium-everything
Have my fingers crossed that this will finaly knock out my hair algae that is infesting the bottom half of my tank. I used the overflow to the sump to power it, and it is draining directly into the sump.
I'm going to try and post periodic pictures every 2 days to see if any of this is going to actually work.
Day 0

algae pictures

stdreb27

As you can see I don't have any significant growth on the mat yet. So as expected there is no discernible change in the algae in the tank.

T

truebeliever71

I couple thoughts... first I would consider using a tank divider that you purchase at PetSmart. I got one and roughed it up with sandpaper so that the algae has place to hold on to. You may want to scrape some of the algae in your tank to help seed the screen. Also, what is that wattage and spectrum of light you're using?
Just some thoughts.

acrylics

Originally Posted by truebeliever71
http:///forum/post/2831182
You may want to scrape some of the algae in your tank to help seed the screen.
Yep, every ATS that I've seen started with various micro/macro algae on the screen to seed it.

stdreb27

I'm starting to see growth on the algae mat. ( I didn't seed it, because I was lazy) Plus I've seen it seeded and not seeded, and there was little difference in growth times, maybe a couple days behind.
However I see no difference in algae in the DT. Still not unexpected at this point.

I have noticed that the light may be too close, because I see algae growth around the sides of the screen but not under the most direct growth...

stdreb27

Still no change in readings, or algae in the tank. See more growth on screen. Expect to start seeing changes in tank soon.

sharkbait9

yeah updates. I need another way to spend money and give me head aches trying to build something with my wife over my shoulder

stdreb27

It occurred to me that I'd been taking pictures on the opposite side of where the light it. So I looked at the other side and there was more apparent algae growth on that side. Basically 2 weeks in with no seeding. But since I've been taking pictures on the "dark side" I'll continue to. But I'm going to put a light on that side too.
I might be imagining things, but I'm starting to see some thinning of the algae in lower light areas (not where I've been photographing.) I'm also seeing less of a certain type of algae.

stdreb27

Here are pictures from today. It is looking a little better in my tank. I'm starting to see some algae recede. Still can't really tell from the picture, but clumps are starting to float around.

I don't think that this will totally address the algae problem. As a single solution. I'll probably have to remove a lot of the algae manually. but I'm going to wait till I have to clean the screen before I give up totally.

chris17

Keep the updates comeing.... It's looking good, hopefully it keeps alot/any more algea from growing. I have a 125g and I am going to make one as well. It's not up and running yet but it will be soon.

stdreb27

Well I'm getting tired of the experiment. I'm ready to have a clean tank now. However I'll hold off for a little while longer... I'm going to try and wait till I have to clean my mat.
I'm definitely seeing improvement. Without me doing anything other than the algae mat.
I did move the other rock leaning against the glass.

This was completely covered.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by zman1
http:///forum/post/2849417
Also, have you seen any changes with water test parameters since the 3rd?
No my params have always been good. The hair algae has taken good care of the no3 and po4 in the tank. Even before I put in the filter I got 0's on those readings.

stdreb27

well, here is more pictures. I'm going to change the experiment a little bit and put lights on both sides of the mat. I also (if I feel better) will clean the mat today.
I'm definitely seeing improvement. Not as much as I was hoping but more than I was expecting.