algae mat id - cyanobacteria?

m0nk

I believe you are correct that it isn't cyano, and it may be Peysonnelia. I have some as well, and over time (give it about 6+ months) it will be fairly well encrusted so it won't come off when you scrub (unless you're doing some insane scrubbing
). You can definitely see when it starts how it sort of looks like cyano, but after a while it gets darker and thicker and harder. The stuff in my tank has been on one of the rocks for over a year and it's really cool looking; definitely adds character to the rock.

alix2.0

yeah but they werent actually in the algae, they were just near the skimmer and collected on the rock & algae.

gatorwpb

I have a decent amount of this stuff on a few of my rocks too. Clearly not cyano. It does seem to cover the liverock and corralline that grows, but the deep purpleish brown color is attractive. Its start to cover two of my powerheads also.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by GatorWPB
http:///forum/post/2643846
I have a decent amount of this stuff on a few of my rocks too. Clearly not cyano. It does seem to cover the liverock and corralline that grows, but the deep purpleish brown color is attractive. Its start to cover two of my powerheads also.
+1 Its not Cyano, its an encusting type of coraline...

V

vince-1961

I hope, given my actions tonight in sucking the stuff out of my tank, that you are of the opinion that what you had was cyanobacter.
what say you?