Algae on Acrylic

sal t. nutz

My new tank is the first acrylic I have ever had. What do you guys use to scrape algae? I don't want to use a CC as that seems very tedious and I have a lot of surface area to cover. I know they make MagFloats for acrylic, but I am skeptical as to whether or not it will scratch over time. I also want a standard handle style scraper to do the back wall. Does anyone have any suggestions for a scraper and advice on Magfloats for acrylic?

saltyrich

I like mag floats, but I don't know about the acrylic safeness. I recommend a good group of trochus snails after your cycle. you would not believe the machines these guys are. I'd add a handful at a time until you strike a balance between virtually no algae and keeping them fed. They all but eliminated any potential algae problem I've ever had. Good luck Sal T.

sal t. nutz

Thanks rich, I used to use MagFloats on my glass 55, and it was awsome. But that same thing scares me, as it seemed like they were very rough, I know the Acrylic ones are different, but they look the same, so I am scared. I just worked for over a month getting every little scratch out of that tank, the last thing I want to do is put more back in. Honestly, I don't have any algea right now, what I really need it for is, the Aragonite fine dust has all settled in the tank, and much of it has settled on the acrylic, fron and back. I figure I would kill 2 birds with 1 stone, by buying something to knock the dust off and purchase something that will remove algae in the future.
By the way rich, I really meant no harm last week, sorry!

saltyrich

No problem. By the way, I really do recommend the trochus snails if you don't already have them. They are unbeatable.

N

newreefers

I have seen a sponge with a long handle on it for cleaning the tank. One side has a rough scrubby on it, but you may be able to trim that part off, I don't think it will handle the tough stuff but if you gave a swipe every day or so it may be able to keep it under control. I don't think just a sponge would scratch the tank.:)

panther

I've found that the easiest way to scratch my acrylic tank is to not pay attention to the cleaner during cleaning. Get a little peice of rubble or a few grains of sand along the front edge of the scrubber you are using, and you can get some good scratches in no time!
I have an acrylic scrubber and I do it all by hand, but there is enough surface area that I'm looking/considering getting one of the magnet type scrubbers. Takes me a while to clean 3 sides of my 150:)